MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Are there any doll collecters here?

ol'momma

Now I confess, I'm not a doll person but...

Today I bought a darling antique porcilain dolly at an estate sale. I simple fell in love with her. :wub:

I'd guess she dates from around 1880-90. She has a bisque (is that right?) head and hands, and a stuffed, jointed, leather body. She's about 23" tall and is wearing her original night gown and blue wool stockings. She is fully marked on the back of her neck, not that I know anything about what those markings mean, except that she was made somewhere in Germany. She was a sleeping doll with eyes that closed when you laid her down but they were knocked out of her head at some point. Thankfully, she still has her eyes, altho one is broken. They are hand blown glass. Her hair is missing. I'm guessing that someone removed it with plans to repair her gaze. Other then that, she has a small chip in one tooth.

My daughter also bought a porcilain doll. Her's is a baby boy from about the same era, with painted hair and a fully bisque, jointed, body. He's about 12" tall, and is also marked on his neck and german made. He also 'sleeps' and his tongue moves. His head was damaged and glued back together once...then today somebody knocked it off the table and knocked another big chunk out of the back of his head. We salvaged the piece, but DD still got the dolly for $5 because of the fresh damage. He's not in his original cloths. He has some wear marks (scuffs and such) to his hands and elbows.

So, How do I go about finding someone to make repairs? How much should I expect it to cost? How do I find out what the markings on their necks mean? Will they tell me when and by whom they were made? Do you have any notion how much they might actually be worth??

Got a library nearby? :)

There are all kinds of books available that show pictures and markings and will even explain how the repairs are made, if you want to do it yourself. If your library is online, try searching for "dolls", or "doll repair".

I'd love to see pictures, if you can.

There are also websites devoted to dolls and repair and collecting.

My mother in law was an avid antique doll collector and repairer as well. While I don't claim to be all knowledgable about them I myself have several antique dolls. Germany was a prime maker of bisque and porcelain dolls and the prices vary from maker to maker. Can you tell us what the name is on the neck? She reminds me of the Kestner dolls but could be one of many.

It's hard to tell if the smaller doll was really meant to be a boy or if it was just meant to be a baby. You may find that out when you look into it's history.

This is a good site for searching. http://www.antiquebisquedolls.net/

The nightgown may actually be the doll's dress though I rather doubt it from the type of doll she appears to be. It may be the chemise that was worn under the dress.

The dolls can be repaired, even the eyes and teeth. New wigs are easily come by just be sure to find out what would have been appropriate before you buy. Restoring the dolls eyes and teeth do not detract much from the price but a broken doll is another story. However, I've seen some excellent work done on these babies. The problem will be finding someone in your area to take it to or someone reputable to send it to. You might look for Doll Hospitals. Or check with your local antique shops and ask about restorers. I am out of touch with the cost for repairs but a good repair won't be real cheap. It is tedius work to replace eyes and teeth though not especially difficult. I've helped with it many times. The repairs on the broken head may show but at least he will be in one piece.

Good luck with them. I hope it is the start of a long time interest in them for they are all unique and they speak to the little girl in all of us women and sometimes to the little boy in men for I have met dozens of male collectors.

:bighug2:

I'm glad you found your answer Ol'Momma. I have a few AM's myself and they are excellent quality dolls compared to some. Really, the price of all antiques seems to be declining in the US with the tight economy but like other collectibles, the price goes up and down. The nice thing about antiques is that they just keep getting ....well, more antique....Just like me.... :lol:

:bighug2:

Archived