MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fresh Peas

TurtleMama

So, I just learned from my trusty Blue Book that peas cannot be water-bath canned, and I do not yet have a pressure canner (WAAAH!) -- and I have fresh peas coming out of my garden. Is there a way to freeze or otherwise preserve them without significantly impairing their taste and quality? I'd appreciate any input. :)

Sure, blanching and freezing them is a good way to go. Also, if you have a dehydrator you can dry them.

I am posting you how to freezing them :

Green Peas

Preparation – Harvest when pods are filled with young, tender peas that have not become starchy. Wash and shell; water blanch 1 1/2 minutes, cool and drain. Package, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

If you want to dry them , blanch for 4 minutes and then dry .

Violet, you rock...but....guess what???? :D

I FOUND A PRESSURE CANNER ON CRAIGSLIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cele::woohoo::balloons::bounce::canning:

I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO excited!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's still wrapped up in plastic and in its box, and it's never been used, and it's only FORTY BUCKS!!!!!

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!! I'm so sorry about all the caps, but man am I excited!!!!!!!!

Now I CAN can!!!! :cheer:

Turtlemama,

Please, tell me what kind, size, etc. !!! Oh, I was just reading the posts and saw your name on one. I was thinking how badly I wished you could own a pressure canner.

So, if you need/want any help, let me know. Really, I am so happy for you !

This just helps so much in storing so many more things.

Violet, you rock...but....guess what???? :D

I FOUND A PRESSURE CANNER ON CRAIGSLIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cele::woohoo::balloons::bounce::canning:

I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO excited!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's still wrapped up in plastic and in its box, and it's never been used, and it's only FORTY BUCKS!!!!!

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!! I'm so sorry about all the caps, but man am I excited!!!!!!!!

Now I CAN can!!!! :cheer:

WOW! What a find and a good price for one that is in such good condition.

Lucky you.

So what kind DID you get?

:D

It's a 16-quart Presto Pressure Canner! I was very careful asking the lady all the questions, and she also had three photos posted on her page, plus I googled the canner and made VERY sure that it is indeed a canner and not a cooker. It's got a weighted guage, which I prefer over a dial, since I don't know where to go to get a dial guage checked around here...I'm so happy! She bought it in a fit of "Oh, I wanna learn how to can!" then never even unwrapped it from the shrink wrap. :rolleyes: I will!!! My husband is laughing at me, because I'm already planning on canning something today...maybe some beans, Heaven knows I have enough of those to can some up! LOL

Violet, thank you SO much for your offer of help -- I know how incredibly busy you are -- and if you don't mind, I will probably take you up on it! You're so sweet, and I'm continually grateful how freely you share your time and knowledge with all of us!

Amishway, I agree -- I am VERY lucky! It was sooooo funny, because I'd just been talking about how much I wanted a pressure canner with my DH at dinner, and he agreed that it would be a great resource. We had made a plan about how to save for one over the next two or three months. Then I get on Craigslist, and BOOM -- there it is, for only $40! What with raiding my change jar, I got $40 without even touching my bank account! (hope she doesn't mind some rolled change, LOL!)

I'll let you know how my initial run of canning in my new canner goes!! The funny thing is, I'll have to do it on the gas burner on my DH's grill, seeing as how my stove is one of those electric flat-top dealies! That's okay, fresh air is great! :D

Excellent ! That is the perfect canner for you, I think. No dial to test. You will be good to go, don't have to worry about having it tested before you can use it.

I have gone to using the weights and find I love it. You just listen to the weight rattle and you can be doing other things.

One thing with the dried beans, I found that I don't like them cooked for the full time before processing. I also would cut down on the amount of beans to put in a jar since they can swell and the starch makes them so thick. The jars of kidney beans I canned and did that, I mashed them when I opened them. I thought they were some of the best refried beans.

Violet,

I will definitely take that advice! The Blue Book says to quick soak them and then cook them for only 30 minutes before popping them in the jars and processing. The "naughty" class I took that told us it's okay to pressure can in pressure cookers taught us to can the beans without cooking them at ALL...now that I know a little more about canning, I don't think that would be so safe, even in a canner! LOL

Prickle,

The canner came with a weight that you can take the rings off or put them on, it adjusts to 5, 10, or 15 pounds. It's so spiffy. I think I'm going to take it on a trial run with just water in it tomorrow after I do my housecleaning and get my son to school. :)

I'm so happy!!!

Prickle,

The canner came with a weight that you can take the rings off or put them on, it adjusts to 5, 10, or 15 pounds. It's so spiffy. I think I'm going to take it on a trial run with just water in it tomorrow after I do my housecleaning and get my son to school. :)

I'm so happy!!!

Neato! You're the second person who's said theirs came with the 3 piece weights. They must have changed the packaging since I got mine. Figgers, lol

Have fun!

Oh, good ! I just posted on the other thread and told you about the weight set. Oh well. I am glad that is what you have. You are ready to can !!!! Wooo hooooo !!!

I feel that cooking for 20 min. is long enough otherwise they are too soft for my taste. No, you never can them raw. They are a hot packed food only. They are not safe to can as a raw pack. I also like to put the beans in lower than the 1 inch headspace and add more water. I find they are more like store canned that way and not too packed in the jars. Headspace is important, you will find out.

Goodness, I am glad you found us and won't listen to the Mad Canner anymore. That is scary, the things she told you.

I cooked some pintos today in my pressure cooker with a ham bone and some ham broth I had. Was good and I am glad I had them done.

We had a major faucet failure. The floor is wet, the cabinet underneath all wet, it went out the back of the cabinet and got about a foot wide place of the family room carpet wet.. went to get a new hose part. Well, there are none ! I checked online with the manufacturer. They are out of stock. Besides if they did have it they want $66 and shipping. I was going to have it shipped overnight. Now, I have to go pay about $200 and my poor dh has to install a whole new faucet for me tomorrow.

I nuked some beans and I had cottage cheese for dinner. You should have seen my way I had to do dishes in the bathroom. I felt like a pioneer woman.

Oh well. I am still blessed much more than most of the world. When you see people in other countries it makes you feel blessed even when you have a problem.

I am thankful I have money to get a new faucet with, too !

Oh, Violet! The Mad Canner! LOL I really, really like that. Especially now that I realize how BAD the advice she's giving really is! :D

I am so sorry to hear about your pipe breaking...that is a household disaster! No fun at all. I'm constantly thankful for my husband, who is able to fix things that I'd just stand there and cry over. I can keep two children alive and happy, and run the house, and take care of the food, but fixing a pipe? I would have no idea. LOL I'm glad your DH will be able to fix it.

You will do fine, Turlemama with the canner. It just makes a few noises that you will soon feel comfortable with. You will not blow up anything or harm a thing ! It is easy to do. I really am glad you have the weights and not a dial. In the future this will save you headaches from having to try to find someone to test it yearly.

We have a new faucet put in. There was no part available for ours, so I spent a couple hundred dollars and got a new one. Oh well. As I said, I was glad we had the money to do it with.

Archived