MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Looking on herbs to treat Fibromyalgia

ANewMe

I've been battling Fibro for about 11 years. I pretty much had it under control until now....I'm flaring. My Dr has me on Cymbalta and I guess it works ok, but my stress levels are on overload and I'm exhausted constantly. By the time I get in from work at the high school I can barely put one foot in front of the other.

Today I picked up some Magnesium 250 mg and Melatonin 3 mg. I'm researching other herbs or vitamins that may be helpful. I particularly have trouble with my hips and legs. It's painful to walk and sometimes to lay. My whole body is sensitive to touch. I'm having brain fog and I'm finding that noise drives me crazy. It's almost painful.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ANewMe, check out www.northernlightshealtheducation.com. Dr Clark has a online video you can watch on autoimmune inflammatory diseases including fibro. Just two weeks ago, he gave a week-long seminar here that was awesome. He is not trying to sell anything. He just gives good information. He is a board certified physician and is a wealth of knowledge.

Daylily

DH has found D-Ribose to be of immense help to him. We take it in powder form, mixing it with our Emergen-C...it dissolves very well and by itself, the taste is pleasantly mild. It also comes in caplet form. Most vitamin stores will carry it...not cheap, but it sure helps, so to us it's worth it. The first time we picked some up was at a Compounding Pharmacy...for a whopping $78!! At Vitamin World where we get it now, it's roughly $35.

Thank you Daylily...I will definatley check that out. Alot of sites I have found are always trying to sell something. Not that I would mind buying something if it worked but I have to know it does before spending a penny on our budget.

Thanks Dons....I'm going to put that one on my list of things to check as well.

I tried the melatonin last night and I felt like I slept a little more soundly and I felt more rested today. This is big for me because my mind is running constantly. It never stops....

I tried the melatonin last night and I felt like I slept a little more soundly and I felt more rested today. This is big for me because my mind is running constantly. It never stops....

Another supplement that helps me get a more restful sleep is L-Tryptophan (that's the stuff typically found in turkey meat...why folks are so sleepy after dinner.) The suggested 'serving' is 3 capsules, but I've found that 2 gets me by just fine. I take it about an hour or so before going to bed.

From the label: The essential amino acid L-Tryptophan helps support relaxation, restful sleep, and positive mood. It plays a part in the synthesis of both melatonin and serotonin, hormones involved with mood and stress response and sleep/wake cycles. L-Tryptophan also supports immune functions because it is the body's precursor to the kynurenines that egulate immunity. If needed. L-tryptophan converts to niacin in the body, which supports circulation, a healthy nervous system, the metabolism of food, and the production of hydrochloric acid for the digestive system. Source Naturals L-Tryptophan is extremely pure and is regularly tested to ensure the highest standards of quality.

The imbedded link takes you to the website for more details, and general pricing info.

• 1 month later...

I also have Fibromyalgia. I would suggest vitamin D3. And I love SamE. I like the one they sell at Sam's. It is about $35. I did not like the way Cymbalta made me feel. It was the worst drug I have ever taken. Getting off of it was a nasty process though. If your like me you have trouble sleeping. I can be exhausted and not able to get to sleep. I hope you find something to help you. I know you misery. God bless.

Thanks for the tips ladies! I constantly battle with being tired but not being able to get to sleep. I don't even want to be taking the scrip drugs out for fibro ... too many dastardly side affects and I am still hooked on 200mg seroquel that is saturated in me so its a long time withdrawal situation now.

I find when I consume cinnamon daily, take the vitamins and find when I am tense, or thinking way too hard to wind down, that the Calm-B complex [by Holista], not expensive at my local drug store is handy. It is mostly B vitamins and folate. We run through B vitamins and such things really fast because we stress easier. It even has helped me get to sleep some nights.

The cinnamon is anti-inflammatory and helps me with alot of inflammation problems including sciatica and backs pinched nerves. In 4 capsules a day, maybe a teaspoon worth, it can help raise the metabolic rate in some people.

If I can remember to take my Vit D on top of everything else, regularly, I am glad to know it can be beneficial too.

• 2 weeks later...

try this, i have bi-lateral caperal tunnal, bi-lateral tennis elbow,bersitous in both shoulders (from sewing and knitting for gander mountain) hip bersitous in both hips and i blew out my maniskous in my left knee, and a torn ACL ligamint in left knee. i use this all the time, its not a cure by all means but i reduces the swelling and pain so its at least bairable for me... try it it may work for you

Bay Leaf Tincture

:wub: This is my favoret, i use this one ALL the time! for arthritis pain, and other pain.

in a 1 quart wide mouth jar put 6 oz. of dried bay leaves. Full jar to just under half full of vodka, then full the rest of the jar with water. Cover and store in cool dark spot, shake once a day. and leave sit for 2 weeks to 1 month. after this time strain and save liquid. store in amber bottles. apply tincture to a soft cloth and rub/massage the affected area. (NOT FOR PREGNANT WOMEN!)

TECNICAL RECIPE:

1-part herb to 5-parts solution 45% vodka water mix. (45% alc. ppv.)

Archived