MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

'Deal' on canning jars

Pigzzilla

Yesterday I was going into town with my #2 son. He wanted to stop at a thrift shop to look around for 'something'. While we were browsing around, I was on my usual search for jars. Didn't see any so I asked if there were canning jars anywhere. Hidden under a table were 3 boxes of a dozen each. $3.00 box. I did a quick check, no obvious chips or cracks so I bought them all.

When we got home, I actually LOOKED at the boxes. Oh boy, all three boxes 'GEM' made in Canada. Great. So, I actually looked at the jars. Yep, GEMs made in Canada stamped on the jars. Improved GEM and Dominion GEM. I'm sure our Canadian sisters and Northern border State sisters know what these are. 78mm , bigger than regular, smaller than wide mouth. 6 jars have rings. Who woulda thought Canadian jars in a Northern Calif. thrift shop????

Sooo, this morning I went online to Goldas Kitchen, a Canadian store that I remembered stocks GEM lids and rings. Good thing they stock these things or I would be kicking myself. I bought 2 boxes of rings and lids and 2 boxes of lids. These oughta last a long time.

Note to self........Look before buying cause sometimes a deal turns into something else!!

pigzzilla

Awww... :(

Mom had a few of those 78s. When the lids got hard to find, she just used them to store dry stuff exclusively, so the lids never got softened.

Well, at least they were cheap. ;)

Archived