MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating Mashed Potatoes

On the Dehydrate2Store website, the lady has dehydrated mashed sweet potatoes. Nobody in my family except myself will eat sweet potatoes (crazy yankees! LOL) but Irish potatoes are a hit. So, the question is, can I dehydrated mashed Irish potatoes? If so, do I use a fruit roll-up sheet on my tray so that the potatoes won't fall through the little holes in the screen? Also, she didn't give a time frame on dehydrating the mashed potatoes. Does anyone know how long it would take?

Many thanks in advance for any advice that can be offered!! :)

Violet is correct in saying no milk or butter added to the potatoes.

I have done sweet potatoes, frozen hash browns and sliced potatoes on the mesh inserts for the trays. I don't remember the temperature setting or the time. I just dry the sliced potatoes and rehydrate with hot milk & butter, then mash.

When I get home tonight I will look up the temperature setting and time.

Violet is correct in saying no milk or butter added to the potatoes.

I have done sweet potatoes, frozen hash browns and sliced potatoes on the mesh inserts for the trays. I don't remember the temperature setting or the time. I just dry the sliced potatoes and rehydrate with hot milk & butter, then mash.

When I get home tonight I will look up the temperature setting and time.

I would greatly appreciate that, CoM! Thank you! :)

I googled this and came up with a couple of good sounding ideas:

http://www.andyhowell.info/trek-blog/2009/...-mashed-potato/ In this one, the auther rices the potatoes before dehydration.

This one too: http://chilechews.blogspot.com/2009/12/cha...r-100-days.html

Here's a paragraph from this article...it gives a temp and amount of time used: Amazingly, there were still several cups of mashed potatoes left to deal with. Since my bean spreads had dehydrated so well, maybe mashed potatoes would, too. I spread them out in a thin layer over my solid drying tray liners and set the machine to 135 degrees. Seven hours of drying turned the smooth and creamy potatoes into dry little chunks easily scraped into a jar.

I need to try this soon...great dry weather right now!

Mama:

I checked my book and it says slice 1/8", dry for 6-12 hours til crisp at 120-140 degrees. I often let mine go longer to make sure they are dry.

I then let them cool for a bit, put in jars, add an oxygen absorber, then vacumn seal jar.

Another great item to dehydrate is frozen shredded has browns. You don't have to pre cook, blanche ..because it's been done at the factory.

I have done my own hashbrowns but my electric shredder (salad shooter) grates them to fine and they shrink up to nothing. Still taste great but I like the frozen hash browns better.

Oh, you ladies are all awesome! :) Thanks so much to each of you for the wonderful advice and pointers. I'm very grateful! Now I'll know what to do with the next 10 pound bag of potatoes that I get on sale! LOL

Archived