MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

?? for C4C or Violet

Pigzzilla

I have a book by Linda J. Amendt titled Blue Ribbon Preserves written in 2001. For many of her jams and jellies she says to process at 200'F half-pints 10 min and pints 15 mins. or correct for altitude. I err on the side of caution and use gentling boiling- not a hard boil- water. I don't think 200'F will kill the nasties or sterilize. Should I follow the written instructions or boil? I have been using this book for at least 5 years, my way, and have not had a problem with jams not jelling. I thought when I first got this book that the reason for the lower temp was to assure a proper jell. Any ideas???...........pigz

You always process in a boiling water bath canner at boiling water temperatures. So, whatever that is at your altitude use boiling water. Then if you are at high altitude you add processing time. I have no idea why she would state that in her book.

There are a few pickle recipes that use a low temp. pasteurization at 180 degrees, but it is a pain to do and I can't see that it helps anything over reg. BWB processing.

Thanks, Violet. I always thought a boiling water bath meant boiling water. Like I said eariler, I didn't think 200'F would kill the nasties, so I boil. Thanks again for your reply..................pigz

I've read the book and some other "popular" unofficial canning books out there.

It always bears a good read of the recipe FIRST to see if the ingredients are safe for canning and IF they are following the best and latest processing times.

I've refused some recipies because I can't find a way to make them "safe". :)

Good luck with trying new things.

Archived