MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sterilize bed linens and disinfecting after a sick person

mommy magic

ok, its been on my mind, knowing there is going to be more diseases and things when shtf, people will need to know how to sterilize bed linens after a sick person, dose one just boil those sheets and other bedding? or how is that done?

how about disinfecting a room? how is that done?

mommy magic

Good question M Magic. You might try looking in the Flu Clinic forum too but undoubtably someone will come along here with some good answers or resources where we can find those answers.

Cuz now that you mention it....I'm not sure I know either. If you can purify water by boiling for 10 minutes, then I'd think anything boiled IN that water would also be squeaky clean. However, some microbes are more heat tolerant than others and that might make a difference. :shrug:

MtRider [hmmmm..... ]

YES - lots of bleach and hot water in the laundry.

For sanitizing walls and beds, spraying or misting with Llysol works well. The pioneers would use lots of air and sun, but now we have a better idea of how germs work. Fresh air does work well, but so does sanitization.

I get paranoid and wash everything in sight. Those Clorox wipes from Costco are in our flu kit and are heavenly when you don't have a spray bottle handy for those middle-of-the-night incidents.

And after all that, sunlights kills a lot of nasties as well. Our dr always adviced to air a room after a person has been sick and/or ill for a while.

Hang blankets etc outside to dry in the sun after washing.

Vinegar is my favorite cleaning agents but for serious nasty, pc incorrect bleach is used.

Didn't someone once post a recipe to make your own bleach?

You can buy liquid Lysol and it can be used in laundry. I used to put this in my diaper pails when the boys were babies.

Lysol in the laundry and hung on the line and bleach once a week kept my diapers white even after 3 babies. The Lysol doesn't eat the fibers the way bleach does.

Archived