MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Best Stainless Steam Juicer

SusanH

Hello! I have an urgent need for a steam juicer and was looking for recommendaitons on the best brand. I know I want stainless. Who has one and why do they like their particular brand?

I'm sorry to ask for such quick info, but I'm swamped with work and I have tons of fruit I have got to process!

Thanks so much,

Susan

I wish I could remember the brand they sell at the store where I go teach preserving lessons at. They have the best juicer. It can be used for all sorts of things since the pans can be changed around. The top steamer can sit on the bottom pan and you can use it for steaming veggies , looks great for corn on the cob. The bottom is deep and nice enough to cook a roast or somehing in. It could be used as a soup pot. All stainless, and heavy enough to be a good pan. I know they charge $129.00 for it, but if I needed one I would get it.

Mine is a cheaper one, not good for anything other than juicing. It was about $80 new, but I got it used.

Ok, did some searching. It is this one :

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-Steamer-...?tag=dogpile-20

They have another model they sell but they do not compare. This is the one I would get !

Thank you, Violet! I had looked at the Cook N Home one on Amazon and it's 80.00 but I would like one that can be used for more than just juicing . Someone told me they bought the Norpro one but it's 181.00! I'm glad to know there is a good one at the in between price!

Susan

The name of the "top drawer" one is Norpro. Expensive, but SO worth it. It makes teh BEST juices for jellies and nectars. :)

I hope you find what you're looking for at an affordable price!

I guess the only advantage to the glass lid is that you don't have to take it off to see how the juice is coming along, but does it take away that much steam anyway? Or wouldn't it be so steamed up you couldn't see it? I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bit the bullet and on another friend's recommendation too, I bought the NorPro Juicer/Steamer. It came today. It's very heavy and appears to be very well made and should last my lifetime. I'll be trying it out in a few days. Thanks so much for the help. :)

Susan

Beware...If you have an induction cook top, make certain you get a stainless steal steam juicer....I bought mine a couple years ago and it is supposed to be stainless, but it won't work on my new induction cook top, so I have to use it on my kerosene cooker...Not too happy about this.

Hi Mom11,

I do have induction and looked high and low for a stainless one that would work on my cooktop. The stainless has to be magnetized to work, and no manufacturer that I could find makes one that will work. I have a 2 burner cooktop and a propane camp stove that will have to work.

Hi Mom11,

I do have induction and looked high and low for a stainless one that would work on my cooktop. The stainless has to be magnetized to work, and no manufacturer that I could find makes one that will work. I have a 2 burner cooktop and a propane camp stove that will have to work.

Yeah! I am hauling it all to the garage and using a kerosene cooker...Oh well. I am lucky to have the steam juicer and the kerosene cookers. I pressure can on them anyway, but the steam juicer needs more attention.

I guess the biggest plus with the induction is how quickly it brings big stockpots to boiling. I use it for my water bath canning, if I am doing a small amount and if not, I use the wood fired canner. At least with no power, I can still can. It seems this canning has become a major operation.

Archived