MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

?? about Pickle Crisp

Pigzzilla

Awhile back Violet mentioned using a small amount of Pickle Crisp when canning potatoes. I cannot find the post to find the quantity. Also, any suggestions for using it other than for pickles? I think I read somewhere about using it when canning cherrys but I can't find that now either. Thanks, pigz

Awhile back Violet mentioned using a small amount of Pickle Crisp when canning potatoes. I cannot find the post to find the quantity. Also, any suggestions for using it other than for pickles? I think I read somewhere about using it when canning cherrys but I can't find that now either. Thanks, pigz

Hi Pigz! I'm new here, but I really just wanted to say hi to you and tell you that I googled "canning potatoes mrs survival" and it brought up the post from Apr1, 2009. Violet did say to add 3/4 t. of PC per pint, or 1/2 t. of bulk calcium cloride per pint. I do know that the new Pickle Crisp calls for using a lesser amount than the old one. Violet told me that the new granules are a different size than the old ones, so maybe that is why. Maybe someone else will come on and give you more info. ( BTW I did add PC to my canned green tomatoes and they turned out great!)

It can be used in most anything to keep it more firm. Check the cans of things in the store, like potatoes, carrots, etc.

I don't know about using it in cherries, but no reason not to if you want firmer cherries. It can make some foods bitter, though.

Yes, the new stuff is different size and takes a different amount. I have bulk so I don't know how much to tell you to use. You will have to read the jar.

It worked great on my potatoes.

Archived