MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone Beginning to Prep for Flu This Season?

Katz25

Last year had a whole box ready with everything I could think of we would need, just now getting started this year. Was wondering if anyone has started. I bought some Tylenol, Aspirin, Iboprofen, occillium(sp), lozenges and think I will order the cough syrup I got last year from Vitacost. It worked great and I could take even with all the meds. I take..no interaction.

So just wondering if everyone is already prepped and I'm just behind or not thinking it will be so bad this year?

yup--i made up a shelf full of all the things i could think of that would make things a little easier--also got my flu shot-- after having the flu last year for well over a month--i feel like i know exactly what to get to make me and dh feel better---since i am alone a lot--i will be adding in canned soups and such that are heat and eat--that way if i don't feel good--i am still eating

what is the name of that cough syrup? and what is vitacost?

Got so much elderberry syrup on stand by, it'd suffice for a few families.

DS swears by tincture so will be making a bit more of that.

Kleenex and lysol concentrate at the ready. Cough syrup is in the box but do need to still pick up fever reducers and pain killers. Will be making chicken soup to can this weekend. Need to put cough drops on the grocery list to pick up tomorrow and more gatorade/mix/pedalyte

yup--i made up a shelf full of all the things i could think of that would make things a little easier--also got my flu shot-- after having the flu last year for well over a month--i feel like i know exactly what to get to make me and dh feel better---since i am alone a lot--i will be adding in canned soups and such that are heat and eat--that way if i don't feel good--i am still eating

what is the name of that cough syrup? and what is vitacost?

Vitacost is an online like Health Food Store. It was recommended to me on this site, they have great prices. The cough syrup I got was Boericke & Tafel Cough & Bronchial Syrup Daytime and Nighttime. It's homeopathic and since I take meds for thyroid, Blood pressure, etc. I can't take most things over the counter...this is safe and worked for me and my dad. Also got my oscillococcinum from them because I could get double package for what one would cost here. I took it also, it's good.

I got this information from a sticky at the top of this page and preps for flu. It's kind of old now, but still has lots of good information.

When Son was sick we wiped everything for flu out .I have to start all over.

Had to fill out a 18 page questionnire about where I shop. Where he has eaten .What is the water source.Where he has been. For the health department.

Oh and by the way it is a very common bacteria .No telling where he picked it up from and we will never use the info unless there is a cluster.Most people get over it in a day or two.Sorry he was sick for so long.

We use VitaCost as well; we've been really happy with it. They have Arnica Gel (for example) at a better price than ordering it from, say, CVS, or Walgreens or Wal-Mart (which sometimes carries it at the store, but I've had to ask at the pharmacy).

I have about 5 bottles (full, unopened) of Sambucol, the elderberry extract recommended for the swine flu scare a couple of years ago. DH is taking it now for his cold and it seems to be working. Katz25 I will look into the cough/cold meds you mentioned. We use Melaleuca and I've found their cough med to be incredibly effective - works better than my codeine Rx! That's saying something for me. My Sambucol expires next month, although I bet it would be ok for a few months more. I will re-order a couple of bottles in December. I mentioned on the winter preps thread that my next order for Melaleuca would be for cleaning and first aid supplies, including cold/cough meds. Because we're in TN, we can't order some things (like their cold tablets). The state gov thinks they're getting tough on meth makers. Yeah, right. Oh well... :shrug:

Are you using the Melaleuca cough syrup? I'm trying to get my order ready so I might give it a try.

We use VitaCost as well; we've been really happy with it. They have Arnica Gel (for example) at a better price than ordering it from, say, CVS, or Walgreens or Wal-Mart (which sometimes carries it at the store, but I've had to ask at the pharmacy).

I have about 5 bottles (full, unopened) of Sambucol, the elderberry extract recommended for the swine flu scare a couple of years ago. DH is taking it now for his cold and it seems to be working. Katz25 I will look into the cough/cold meds you mentioned. We use Melaleuca and I've found their cough med to be incredibly effective - works better than my codeine Rx! That's saying something for me. My Sambucol expires next month, although I bet it would be ok for a few months more. I will re-order a couple of bottles in December. I mentioned on the winter preps thread that my next order for Melaleuca would be for cleaning and first aid supplies, including cold/cough meds. Because we're in TN, we can't order some things (like their cold tablets). The state gov thinks they're getting tough on meth makers. Yeah, right. Oh well... :shrug:

So is Sambucol recommended for flu, cold, cough or all? I've never heard of Melaleuca, I would definately be willing to try it to stop coughs. Are these two homeopathic? Do you get them from Vita Cost? Sorry all the questions, I will try to check myself too.

Thanks for the info.

Denise

Christy - is elderberry syrup really good, I've never tried it. Is it just for cough?

Hi Katz, elderberry, when manufactured correctly, is against a virus. So that would be the flu.

Drugs like Tamiflu kill a virus once it's inside a cell to multiply.

Elderberry kills a virus before it reaches the cells to multiply.

The kids next door at the BOL drank elderberry from october till may this year and hey presto, end of may they both came down with the flu.

So some people take it daily to prevent, others start a bombardment of elderberry when they feel something coming on.

In the country people used to make elderberry wine and women in particular used to sip a daily glass for "medicinal purposes".

My son feels tincture works better for him.

I don't drink alcohol so for me and others there's elderberry syrup.

The recipe is here somewhere but if you can't find it I can dig it up and post it again.

Elderberry should not be used by pregnant women btw.

Besides elderberry, we have tons of Brufen, desinfectant, cough syrup, ginger syrup (against nausea) etc on stand by.

Wow! :o I hadn't even thought about flu preps for this year. I have been concentrating on just prepping as a whole, <_< ,,, guess it makes sense and I had better get a move on and do something,,,

Puffs Plus, Day/nightQuil,,vicks vapor rub, Immodium, hmm, better think on it...

Thanks! :D

Christy - is elderberry syrup really good, I've never tried it. Is it just for cough?

Hi Katz, elderberry, when manufactured correctly, is against a virus. So that would be the flu.

Drugs like Tamiflu kill a virus once it's inside a cell to multiply.

Elderberry kills a virus before it reaches the cells to multiply.

The kids next door at the BOL drank elderberry from october till may this year and hey presto, end of may they both came down with the flu.

So some people take it daily to prevent, others start a bombardment of elderberry when they feel something coming on.

In the country people used to make elderberry wine and women in particular used to sip a daily glass for "medicinal purposes".

My son feels tincture works better for him.

I don't drink alcohol so for me and others there's elderberry syrup.

The recipe is here somewhere but if you can't find it I can dig it up and post it again.

Elderberry should not be used by pregnant women btw.

Besides elderberry, we have tons of Brufen, desinfectant, cough syrup, ginger syrup (against nausea) etc on stand by.

Thank you for the information, I didn't know any of that.

Now my dumb question, what is a elderberry if you wanted to make syrup? I'm guessing like a blackberry, etc. I don't think I've heard of them in Texas! I've heard of Elderberry Wine, but never knew what exactly elderberry was. So if I don't have them here you just buy the syrup? I'm very interested in this.

Thanks - Denise

Wow! :o I hadn't even thought about flu preps for this year. I have been concentrating on just prepping as a whole, <_< ,,, guess it makes sense and I had better get a move on and do something,,,

Puffs Plus, Day/nightQuil,,vicks vapor rub, Immodium, hmm, better think on it...

Thanks! :D

I know its kinda "snuck up" on us this year!! LOL!!

Archived