MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Friday morning

snapshotmiki

Good morning everyone! I have 10 pints of elk in the canner. The roast elk in the crockpot with sweet potatos was great. I seasoned it with garlic, soy sauce and honey. Onions too. It was very tender.

Today I have things to put away and do for my trip. Sure wish I could pack but that has to wait. May make my slingbow today and bring it with.

Anybody else having fun out there?

I've been sick with a cold for a couple of days and missed work. Today is a holiday - the county fair's day, so I'm home recovering a little more! We have a friend in the landscaping business who is here cutting down a few trees and enlarging our garden - there goes a tree! He's helping me plan the garden to be more productive (I did learn a lot this season) next year. We have areas for blackberries, raspberries and blueberries, and my pumpkins, watermelons and winter squash.

It's a beautiful day and nearly 90 degrees even up here on the mountain, but our friend says a cold front is due through next week. I freshened the ducks' pool with a little more water and watered the few plants left in the garden - the one Roma tomato bush has now produced about 100 wonderful tomatoes that I'm making puree and such with. The green pepper plants are still going, as is the one last Celebrity tomato plant. There is a VERY large, colorful caterpillar who has chomped the parsley plants into oblivion. He's green and black and sort of looks like he might turn into a nice butterfly, but if not, I'm gonna squash his sorry butt.

I'm just taking it easy, enjoying the quiet between chain saw use and rejoicing in the beauty of our woods. God is good!

It's a beautiful afternoon since the wind finally died down. Almost lost control of the car this morning when we moved past a bunch of buildings and the wind hit again this morning. But it's sunny with almost no clouds in the sky and the house is open.

Spent 2 hours waiting to see the ped this morning to see what was wrong with DD as she was up most of the night with a horrible cough. It's allergies and I was told to give her allergy medicine in the morning and benadryl and cough syrup at night. (The other Ped is out on Medical leave again so the wait was 2 hours today). MIL was kind enough to come sit with the kids so I could do some quick shopping and the first place I hit was the local farm and picked up locally raised (? grown?) honey to give her. But she is sleeping on the couch and this kids doesn't nap so I know she doesn't feel well.

I picked 4 plastic (store) bags of pears at my sister's yesterday to make pear sauce and butter. I put them in a box this afternoon to make more space while they finish ripening and I picked over a half bushel without realizing it. :0327:

Have a wonderful evening!

Good Afternoon,

It was so nice to walk out of the house this morning at 6 and feel cool. Not much difference from the house temperature.

I managed to pick the pomegranates and they are awaiting processing sometime tomorrow, when I stay home and clean house.

After checking to see what spouts survived the skunk who visits at night, (the little bugger likes the spinach, tomato and chive, it is evident I will need to replant,) I set the markers for enlarging my 27 sq. ft. garden area, to about 100 sq.ft.

It was 104 at noon and rising when I went to the post office. Sure looking forward to those cooler temperatures the news people were saying we were supposed to get.

Busy day today. We left out this morning around 5:30 to travel almost two hours to pick up a big rabbit hutch we were buying off Craigslist. The hutch is *huge*. I'm quite happy with it. They gave us all the cages for the hutch, an extra cage, and a nest box. Before I left, she picked some seed pods off her hummingbird vine that I had commented on and gave them to me. They were very nice people.

Came home and the whole family got to work cleaning the house. With everyone's help, we got it done in a very timely manner. Now we're waiting for the kid's friends to come over for a sleepover.

Neighbor asked if I wanted a bushel of granny smith apples. Well, of course! This is the same neighbor that gave me a ton of pears I canned last week. He just loves to leave produce on our porch, lol. Gotta love good neighbors!

Archived