MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Steel Cut Oats?

Some more detailed information:

All About Oats

# Whole oats, also called oat groats, are about the size of long-grain rice and have a distinctively sweet oat flavor. An easy way to cook them is in a Crock Pot: 1 cup of oats, a pinch of salt and 3 cups water simmered overnight.

# Steel-cut oats (also called Scottish, Irish or pin oats) are oat groats cut into two or three pieces. They have a satisfying, moist but chewy texture and, besides for breakfast, may be used in stuffing, soups or even in place of bulgur in a tabouli-like salad.

# Rolled oats are made by pressing whole oats between two rollers. Each rolled oat is one flattened oat. Depending upon the pressure of the rollers, the resulting oat may be thin or "old-fashioned" and thick.

# Instant or quick oats are groats that have been pre-cooked in water, dried, rolled into super-thin pieces and typically mixed with sugar, salt and other seasonings. The particles are so tiny that they don’t require cooking.

# Oat flour yields a sweet, cake-like crumb that retains its freshness far longer than wheat flour. Substitute up to 20 percent oat flour for corn, wheat or rice flour in quick breads, cakes and muffins. To my taste, a waffle containing oat flour is unsurpassed. For a dairy-free but milk-like base, use oat flour in soups, sauces and roux.

Source: http://archive.mailtribune.com/archive/200...ries/03life.htm

They are also healthier than regular oats and do even more to help with cholesterol than regula

that's good to know.I have the time to cook.As i'm retired and widowed as of 4 yrs ago.

I"ve seen them at Trader Joes.Will give them a try.

thankyou bluegrassmamawink.gif

Archived