MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

does this seem safe??

Deerslayer

http://www.dehydrate2store.com/videos/?id=87

curious if this is safe--the way she does the jars in the microwave?? this juice is not really "canned" so would it really keep?? it looks wonderful--so i was just wondering before i order that juicer...

No, it must be processed or it can mold or ferment. Nothing has been done to preserve that juice !

The steamer is wonderful, though, and I use one. However, grape juice needs to be put in the fridge overnight, then carefully strain to remove sediment and tartaric acid crystals. They are sharp like glass and can cut your tongue. You don't just can fresh grape juice and not expect those 2 things. Strain through several layers of cheescloth or a coffee filter.

The juice is then brought up to a boil and processed in the jars.

I would still order the juicer, but process the juice. Makes fabulous juice for jelly, too.

Thanks!!! :hug3: it just didn't seem right to do it like that...i think that juicer looks fun--think i will order it!!! i can't wait :bounce:

Those juicers really are great. I have not tried it yet for this, but you are supposed to be able to juice tomatoes with it. We had no tomatoes this year. They all got blight or something from all the rain. Not one tomato !

Here I sometimes have found the juicers in the thrift stores.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of the juicer-steamers, too. The stainless version, some companies also make an aluminum steamer, for a lot less money, but I got stainless so I can use it for tomatoes too. After seeing this video, I rechecked the manual that came with mine. It said to bwb process apple and tomato juice, but did not say to process grape. Just lid it up and good for 2 years.

I completely agree with Violet on straining and processing grape juice. I have used mine for plums to make plum jelly, apples for juice, grapes for juice and tomatoes for juice and sauce to be cooked down to thicken. Just grapes need that extra step of settling and straining......pigz

Archived