MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pumpkin - which kind is more cost effective?

You have to figure in your time and effort in the cost of the pumpkin. If you get it canned for a reasonable price, get it. If you find pie pumpkins for a great price, and don't mind baking them, seeding them, etc., then that may be a good thing.

For me, I want to show LilDD how to cook them from the pumpkin. It's good for her to see that stuff so she's not afraid to try things like that in her future.

Depends on how much time we have! If I've grown butternut squash or little sugar pumpkins, we'll make the pies from scratch. They usually turn out really well. If we're strapped for time and the garden didn't produce like it should have (because we were strapped for time-viscious cycle) then I go for a can! Canned pumpkin is still pretty cheap. So cost wise, depending on how much of a $ value you put on your time, the canned pumpkin is definitely the most economical. But, it's not as rewarding as making a pie out of something you've grown and you can never really be too sure about the quality of the commercially canned product.

Archived