MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How do you know when it's cooked through?

MamaHill

First, I scored a *fabulous* deal on clearance canner at Wal-Mart! darlenedance.gif

I'd like to start by canning chicken...and I've read the Blue Ball book on poultry about 500 times now. It says to cook the chicken 2/3 done.

Well how in the world do you know when that is? Any signs for me to go by when trying to judge?

I just have no idea what 2/3 will look like. Can anyone help me figure this part out? shrug.gif

Thanks in advance!

I'd cook legs or thighs 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Better more than less done!

Edit to add: I just checked a favorite recipe. It says to brown, then sautee 10 minutes with onions, then put in the oven for 30 minutes.

I'd still rather see overcooked than undercooked chicken. Why don't you cut them and when it's looking done on the outside but red at the bone, call that 3/4?

Which form of "cooking" are we talking about? Time and internal temperature would be different for each. And keep in mind that raw packing of chicken when canning is also approved and preferred by many. See: Canning chicken - NCHFP

YUP!

That what we do for the most part - 'raw pack' saves a lot of time and in the end you really can't tell that you didn't cook it first. Skinned of cause.

We just canned a Turkey (raw packed-deboned)we got on sale :thumbs: so we have lots on hand for this winter. Plus we can whatever turkey we wouldn't eat in 3-4 days after Thanksgiving

also cook down the bones to make 'stock' that we can as well. That's why we get a 22 pounder for just 2 people :laughkick:

:AmishMichael2:

Archived