MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New Grain Mill

OK Ladies (and gents too)

Now is your chance.............................

If you own a grain mill! I will type it again for you IF you own a grain mill, tell us all you use it for.

even a FEW links to GOOD sites will help out, but not ones that have 200+ pages I have to go thought to find what I want (get it?)

Our is the 'back to basics' model but we are having fun - but it is a grind! :laughkick: LOL

Thanks I hope this will help others as well that got them for Christmas.

:AmishMichael2:

DH bought me the Back To Basics grain mill from Emergency Essentials as a Christmas present. I haven't tried it yet but I'll be using it to grind flax seed. I add flax to all my baked items from bread to brownies and cookies. I was grinding it in my blender but the seed puts too much strain on the motor so I decided the mill was a better option.

My local grocery store sells all sorts of bulk grains so I'd like to experiment with rye and different wheat types in my baking.

Since we live in the desert, one thing I was hoping to do was use the mill to grind mesquite flour. I have since learned the mesquite pods are too sticky so they need to be ground with a hammermill or something similar. Oh well.

DH bought me the Back To Basics grain mill from Emergency Essentials as a Christmas present. I haven't tried it yet but I'll be using it to grind flax seed. I add flax to all my baked items from bread to brownies and cookies. I was grinding it in my blender but the seed puts too much strain on the motor so I decided the mill was a better option.

My local grocery store sells all sorts of bulk grains so I'd like to experiment with rye and different wheat types in my baking.

Since we live in the desert, one thing I was hoping to do was use the mill to grind mesquite flour. I have since learned the mesquite pods are too sticky so they need to be ground with a hammermill or something similar. Oh well.

Looks like we will be 'learning' together..........cool :thumbs:

Yes flax seed is one we also grind in our small mill and we were afaid that it was going to break it.

so that is what we plan to do first - when we have some time. (maybe next year :laughkick: )

Found ours at a local hardware store - they had gotten it in and then it just sat there collecting dust? so we got a good deal on it (1/2 price) so they could use the shelf space.

tagged

Need a good manual one (what's the point of electric - won't use it if there is electricity).

Its very hard to get any info on what is good and what is gimick.

Gunsmith:

I have the Wonder Deluxe Jr., NOT the Basic. The Deluxe comes with a second set of burrs, stainless steel to use on oily grains. It is made VERY well and we are quite happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Junior-Deluxe-Grain-Wondermill/dp/B0026S3K42/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1293553339&sr=8-4

tagged

Need a good manual one (what's the point of electric - won't use it if there is electricity).

Its very hard to get any info on what is good and what is gimick.

Gunsmith:

I have the Wonder Deluxe Jr., NOT the Basic. The Deluxe comes with a second set of burrs, stainless steel to use on oily grains. It is made VERY well and we are quite happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Junior-Deluxe-Grain-Wondermill/dp/B0026S3K42/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1293553339&sr=8-4

The Deluxe looks very well made but the cost ($200.00) is more then we wanted to spend since we are just starting out with grain milling. We got a cyber Monday deal on the Basic for $40.00.

How does the Deluxe do with the oily grains? Does it clog a lot? I'll be keeping this model in mind if we decide to upgrade. Thanks for the info.

I've never ground grain. The LDS recommend sprouting it, as a means of obtaining more nourishment from it. What does "oily" mean? Does it turn it into peanut better as happens if I use my electric coffee grinder to chop nuts?

Speaking of which, can it be used to grind coffee? Can it get fine enough?

What about rice? I've wondered how to make rice into flour.

Archived