MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

It cost WHAT! in 1955

Amishway Homesteaders

The following comments were made in the year 1955! That's only 56 years ago!

¥ "I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $10.

¥ "Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $1,000 will only buy a used one."

¥ "Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter?"

¥ "If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."

¥ "When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon? Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."

¥ "I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas."

¥ "Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $50,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the president."

¥ "I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."

¥ "It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women have to work to make ends meet."

¥ "It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."

¥ "The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."

¥ "There is no sense going on short trips anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $2 a night to stay in a hotel."

¥ "No one can afford to be sick anymore. At $15 a day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood."

¥ "If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a haircut, forget it."

(sorry Robie these were to good to let go-:AmishMichael2: )

Oh and the hospital? Over 10K to have my baby 'without any complications or extras'. The midwife is $2000 and even to do at home with a home birth kit alone costs around $75-100 for the supplies. :0327:

Archived