MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rescuing my sourdough

Has it been refrigerated? If so, it could be ok to just feed it and let it "work" outside the fridge for a day.

*BUT*... If it has changed colors and looks bad, don't bother feeding it. If it's red or anything other than what sourdough is - creamy colored or slightly grayish - just dump it and try again.

DH is happy because I recently started a new batch of sourdough. Now I just have to get busy and USE it! :)

:bighug2:

Has it been refrigerated? If so, it could be ok to just feed it and let it "work" outside the fridge for a day.

*BUT*... If it has changed colors and looks bad, don't bother feeding it. If it's red or anything other than what sourdough is - creamy colored or slightly grayish - just dump it and try again.

DH is happy because I recently started a new batch of sourdough. Now I just have to get busy and USE it! :)

:bighug2:

It's been in the fridge the whole time. I really should freeze some or something, because I definitely go through baking phases and once it's over, it's over for about six months, LOL! I'll dig it out and investigate it further this weekend. Thanks!

Yes, sourdough responds well to freezing. It's nice to have that choice. You can also dry it in thin layers (I'd have to find the instructions post), but then you have to keep it *very* dry.

I understand about the "baking phases". :D I'm like that, too. The reason I started my sourdough this time was because I boiled some potatoes without butter and just couldn't throw out the water! :shakinghead: I figured sourdough might be a fun plaything for teaching lilDD this summer. ;)

Archived