MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Heinz Dill Recipe

Trudy

I want to try your recipe, but I have a few questions. I will use dill seed, so is the right amount 2T. per pint? Can I add a fresh jalapeano in the bottom of the jar, or would I need a dried pepper or pepper flakes?

Trudy, I use dried dill and like dill weed flavor best. However, it is messy in the jars ! Floats all over and sticks to the pickles. It is best to use dried chilies in the jars. However, considering you would only add 1 and not more, I would think one would be OK. With dried you never have to worry. We use the red dried whole chilis in class.

Yes, I used 2 T. per pint jar of the dill seed, too. My husband thinks the dill seed tasted better. Just all a personal taste. Some like the fresh dill better. All works fine.

Thanks Violet. I think I will try the seeds and the weed and see which one I like best. How much weed do you use per pint?

Hi! I'm not very computer literate, so how do I find your Dill Pickle (Nalley's) recipe? Only see comments. We love Nalley's Dill Pickles, along with a lot of their other products.

They are Heinz from the vinegar bottle. Don't think it is still on the bottle, though. Nalley puts some turmeric in, too. You could add some.

KosherDill (Heinz Recipe)

4 lbs pickling cukes

14 cloves garlic, peeled & split

1/4 cup pickling salt

2 3/4 cups distilled or apple cidervinegar 5% acidity

2 3/4 cups water

12 to 14 sprigs fresh dill weed (or 2 T. dried dill weed or dried dill seed perjar)

28 peppercorns

Wash cucumbers; remove 1/16 inch from blossom end, cut in half lengthwise.Combine garlic and next 3 ingredients; heat to boiling. Remove garlic and place4 halves into each clean jar, then pack cucumbers, adding 2 sprigs of dill and4 peppercorns. Pour hot vinegar solution over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch oftop. Immediately adjust covers as jar manufacturer directs. Process 10 minutesin BWB. Makes 6-7 pints.

Ifyou want hot pickles, add dried hot chilis to each jar.

Archived