MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I saw my favorite music group last night...

themartianchick

About two weeks ago, my entire family got really excited because we heard that our favorite band was coming to town. We are really into music and everyone either plays multiple instruments or sings in our family.Our musical tastes are all over the place and we tend to listen to some of everything. At any given time you will find an eclectic mix of Jazz, old R&B, Pop (old and new), classic rock, reggae, a little new rock, some club music, new age, gospel, a bit of rockabilly and a tiny bit of country music.

Yep...our MP3 players and Ipods are a hot mess if you only like certain styles of music! Anyway, our favorite group has found ways to blend many different styles together in 6 part harmony and it is all done a capella!!! It is actually quite rare for them to use instruments at all in their recordings and they have recorded and performed with a lot of the top names in the industry.

Anyway, hubby and I discovered them while flipping channels one night back in the late 80's. They had just won a gospel music award for their first album and performed a song on the award show. We were completely blown away by their vocals! Hubby ran out to the record store to buy it the next day. (Remember when there were record stores?) We have since bought every album and our kids grew up listening to their music and were heavily influenced by their style.

Ooops, I just realized that I neglected to tell you the name of the group.... TAKE 6

If any of you watch the a capella tv show "the Sing-Off" many of the groups in the competition try to imitate their style and the judges often make references to them.

So here they are singing the national anthem:

And here they are on an episode of Sesame Street singing about...What else? The number 6!

I almost forgot... They are a gospel group! Here they are singing "Get Away Jordan" We heard them in a very small venue (a Catholic Church) and were in the 3rd row of pews. We were also able to purchase a recording of their performance from last night. Hubby is wearing it out, er uh... Playing it right now!

We were up so late last night, Miki! The concert started at 8pm and there were two groups opening for them. Their set lasted nearly 2 hours and they really engaged the crowd. As evidenced in the videos that I posted, they didn't use to dance much when they performed. Last night, they danced a lot and even did several Michael Jackson songs...All a capella and on a very tiny stage area! They did the human beat box thing to make all of the drum, guitar, horn and other percussion sounds. I always thought that their vocals were amazing, but how in the heck do you do all of that while dancing so hard? They even did a bit of light breakdancing. The group stuck around for a long time afterwards and I even saw them take the time to encourage some of the kids who were there in small groups. Anyone who wanted to meet them had ample opportunity and no one felt rushed or brushed off. My daughter spent some time speaking with their soundman who is currently a contestant on "The Sing-off". They were all so down to earth and friendly! Oh, I forgot to mention that one of the members is the brother of Brian McKnight who is fairly well-known for topping the R&B charts with slow, soulful songs...mostly back in the 90's. Can you just imagine how proud their parents must be? (Hubby is playing Youtube videos of them downstairs right now...I can feel the bass through the floorboards and am singing along!) Edited to add the song that he's playing right now. "You're the Biggest Part of Me". I think it was originally done by Ambrosia in the late 70's or early 80's. This is one of the few tracks that they actually used full instrumentation on.

Edited to add that you do have good taste in music, Miki! I like Buddy Guy, too and never thought to add him to my MP3 player. I am correcting that right now!

I love Take 6! We started listening to them back my college days (back in the 80's). I've watched a few episodes of The Sing Off. It's amazing what people can do with just their voices.

I can honestly say that their voices sound even better now than they did when they did their first album. Keep an eye out for them. They seem to be doing a college tour right now and the ticket prices were downright CHEAP!!!! (Alright the tickets were AFFORDABLE and we're the ones who are CHEAP! ) Tickets were $20 in advance and $25 at the door. However, it sold out so no tickets were sold at the door. I think that the colleges are sort of subsidizing the concert tickets to make it affordable.

http://take6.com/tour

Archived