MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Kitchen counter and bread making

My husband and I were discussing our dream kitchen today, you know the "when you retire for good and if we could build the house of our dreams" type thing. We want butcher block counter tops in the entire kitchen but I want a section for bread/pie baking. I was thinking stainless or marble and he mentioned copper. I love the look but then he asked me if it would be a problem with breads since copper has anti-microbial properties, would it somehow inhibit the yeast? Told him I have no idea what so ever on that! LOL Anyone have any idea if copper counters would be a no no for kneading bread dough?

No clue about copper. With the pigmentation going green over years, I might think it could effect yeast.

For baking, bread, pies and all things doughy, a marble slab is the best. There's really nothing that can beat a good slab of marble cos of it's density. It is the less stickiest material I know.

They even teach at pastry school here with marble counter tops.

Here is what I use for 'kneeding' bread or pizza dough or pie shells or whatever-

A 16 inch square tile!

I got it over 25 years ago and it still works great!

I went to a store that sold big tiles (Home Improvment type store) got a nice thick one that was white and glazed so it was 'shiny'.

I can put it anywhere in Kitchen and have a nice flat surface to kneed on and if you put some flour down first (like you would anyway) nothing sticks to it.

This size is just right for rolling out pizza dough as well because we have a tray (with holes) that we cook the pizza on and it is 14 inches round.

To store it and free up counter space I just clean it off and slide it next to one of the white cabinets on the floor.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

That's the perfect thing Michael. Smooth, closed surface, non-stick.

Thanks, didn't think about it turning green! Getting a chunk of tile is a good idea! I might do that now, might even catch one on sale sometime. In my dream Kitchen I would have a small section of counter that is a little shorter than normal counter top for kneading and rolling out dough. Holidays when I'm doing tons of baking my shoulders and neck get really ried and tighten up from all the work. :sEm_blush:

We only have a Lowe's here but I'll have to keep an eye out every time I go in and try to catch a deal on a tile!

When we lived on the farm, we designed our own kitchen and DH built a lower counter so I could knead all day long and not bother my shoulders. It worked great. :cele:

Now days, I might consider Michael's tile that goes everywhere. :wink (2):

Archived