MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Storage Recipes

Sourdough!!!

Despite any suggested mystique about sourdough, it is but a leavening agent and leavening can be found in the Bible in the Old Testament. As part of the celebration of the Feast of the Passover, unleavened bread was to be used. Therefore, some sort of leavening was normally used in their daily breads.

Starters:

"Starter" (or "sponge") is the name of the leavening product developed when combininb flour, liquid, and some source of yeast spores. Sometimes, sugar is added to the starter to feed the yeast. This product also adds flavor to the end product. This flavor adds some degree of "sourness" or "tanginess" and provides us with "sourdough." However a starter is obtained, it should be kept in crockery, glass, or plastic containers. Metal seems to have an adverse chemical reaction to the life of starters.

The easiest way to get into sourdough is to obtain a "start" from someone already into sourdough baking. Most "starts" are about 1/2 cup in quantity. To reconstitute this 1/2 cup, add 2 cups of warm tap water and two cups flour, mix well, cover and let stand in a warm place (out of drafts) overnight. This provides about 1 quart of starter. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container. Take out the amount of starter called for in a recipe and return the remainder to the fridge. When about 1/2 cup remains or two-three weeks have passed, plan to reconstitute as suggested. You now have another supply.

The next easiest way to establish a "start" is to add a package or one tablespoon of yeast to 2 cups of warm tap water and mix in 2 cups of flour. Cover and let stand in a warm, draft-free place for about 24 hours. Stir down once or twice.

To "Set a Sponge" (or starter) for a recipe:

About 12 hours before planning to mix the recipe, mix in a bowl 1/2 cup starter, 2 cups flour, 2 cups liquid (water, milk, or water drained from cooked potatoes). Cover bowl with cheesecloth and put it in a warm draft-free place. Just before mixing the recipe, take 1 cup of batter to replenish the starter in your crock. Use the balance in your recipe.

Some Variations of Starters:

1. In the place of warm tap water, use the water in which potatoes have been cooked.

2. Use milk for the liquid. This starter does not keep as long as one with water. If you REALLY want a "tang" of a "sour" starter, use part

buttermilk or sour milk.

3. Rather than white flour, use whole wheat, rye, unbleached or combinations of these flours. Some people keep a white flour and a whole

wheat starter going at the same time.

If you really want to do it the "old fashioned" way (good practice for if the SHTF & your yeast finally runs out), mix 2 cups water with 2 cups flour and let stand uncovered, out of a draft, for several days until it really starts to bubble good. This method collects the yeast spores from the air, so it can take several days.

Many recipes tend to use sourdough more as a flavoring agent than for its leavening properties.

Sourdough Starter #2:

2 cups water

2 cups flour

1 scant tbsp. yeast (1 package)

Mix well and let stand in a warm place out of draft for 24 hours. Stir down once in a while. It will store in the fridge for several days. The more you use it, the better it becomes.

Sourdough Starter #3:

2 cups warm water

2 cups flour

1 tbsp. dry yeast (1 package)

1 tbsp. sugar

Put warm water into crock. Sprinkle yeast over water and stir with wooden spoon until dissolved. Add flour and sugar. Mix until smooth. Cover and set aside 36-45 hours. Stir each time you are in the kitchen. Use 1 1/2 cup of the starter in a sourdough bread recipe.

To store the remainder, beat 2 cups flour and 2 cups warm water into remaining starter batter. Let stand in warm place at least 5 hours. Cover and store in fridge. Allow water needed in bread to warm to room temperature before using. Never add anything to the starter but the flour and water to keep it going. DO NOT USE METAL SPOONS OR CONTAINERS! :)

Sourdough Bread:

Set sponge and let stand overnight or for 6-8 hours.

4 cups sifted flour (or more)

2 tbsp. sugar

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp baking soda (added later)

2 tbsp. fat

Sift dry ingredients (using about 3 cups flour) into a bowl, making a well in the center. Add fat to the sponge and mix well. Pour mixture into the well of the flour mixture. Mix well and add enough flour to make a soft dough for kneading.

Knead on floured board or cloth for 10-15 minutes. Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place without drafts. THis can take 2-4 hours, until doubled in bulk. Dissolve the baking soda in a tablespoon of warm water and add to the dough. Knead it in thoroughly. Shape dough into loaves and place in greased bread pans and set aside to rise. When doubled in bulk, bake at 375 for 50-60 minutes until well-browned and has a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom.

Sourdough Bread#2:

1 tbsp. dry yeast

2 tbsp. sugar

2 tsp. salt

1 cup warm water

1 1/2 cups sourdough starter

3 1/2-4 cups flour

1 egg, used as egg wash

Mix starter, yeast and warm water. Let stand until yeast is dissolved. Add remaining ingredients, except egg. Punch down. Form into loaves. Cover and let rise until doubled. Beat egg and brush over unbaked loaves. Bake in 400 oven for 30-45 minutes.

Sourdough Biscuits

1/2 cup starter

2 1/2 cups flour

3/4 tsp salt

1 tbsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. baking soda

Mix starter (one of them above), using milk as the liquid and 1 cup of flour from this recipe for a total of 3 cups of flour, and let set overnight or all day. Combine salt, sugar, baking powder, soda and 1/2 cup flour. Mix this with the sponge. Turn out mixture on a board with remaining 1 cup flour. Mix with hands and knead. Roll out to about 1 inch thick. Cut out and dip in oil or fat and set in ungreased 9x13 inch pan with sides barely touching. Let rise 1/2 hour. Bake at 375 degrees. Makes 12-16 biscuits.

Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls

1/2 cup starter

1 cup evaporated milk

2 cups sifted flour

1/4 cup butter

3 tbsp. sugar

1 egg

1 1/2 cup flour (more if needed)

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp melted butter

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup raisins (optional)

Melted butter

Combine started, evaporated milk, and 2 cups of flour in a large bowl; cover and leave at room temperature overnight. The next morning, beat together butter, sugar, and egg; blend into sourdough mixture. Combine the 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt with the other mixture. Turn onto a floured board and knead until the dough surface is satiny and doesn't stick to the board. You may need to add a little more flour to keep it from sticking.

Place the ball of dough in the center of the board and roll it out into a rectangle 8x16 inches. Brush surface with melted butter and sprinkle with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins. Roll up dough starting with one of the long sides; cut rolls at 1 3/4 inch intervals with dental floss or scissors (the floss works the best). You should have nine rolls. Dip top and bottom of each roll in melted butter, place in greased pan, cover and set in a warm, draft-free place for about one hour, or until nearly doubled in bulk. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until dark golden. Glaze or frost while still warm, using your favorite glaze frosting recipe.

Sourdough Doughnuts

1/2 cup starter

1/3 cup sour milk or buttermilk

1 tbsp shortening

1/2 cup sugar

2 egg yolks

2 cups flour

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

Extra sugar or powdered sugar for coating doughnuts after frying

Mix liquids together. Sift dry ingredients into liquid mixture. Roll out and cut. Heat oil to 390 degrees. Fry doughnuts until golden brown, turning once. Set on paper towels to drain. While warm, completely cover the doughnuts with sugar.

Sourdough Whole Wheat Muffins

Set sponge the night before.

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup oil

1/4 cup non-fat dry milk (measure the milk powder)

1 cup raisins (optional)

Sift dry ingredients intoa bowl; make a "well" in the center. Mix thoroughly the egg and oil with the sponge. Add this to the well in the flour. Stor only enough to moisten the mixture. Fill greased muffin tin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes. Yields about 20 small or 12 large muffins.

Sourdough English Muffins

Makes 12-14 muffins

2 cups sourdough starter

3/4 cup buttermilk

2 3/4-3 cups flour

6 tbsp yellow cornmeal

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

Mix together the starter and the buttermilk. Combine the flour, 4 tbsp cornmeal, soda, and salt and add to the buttermilk mixture. Stir to combine, using hands when necessary, Turn onto lightly floured surface; knewad until smooth, adding more flour if necessary. Roll dough to 2/3 inch thick. Cover and let rise for a few minutes. Using a 3-inch cutter, cut muffins. Sprinkle sheet of wax paper with the remaining cornmeal and coat muffin circles on both sides. Cover and let rise until very light, about 45 minutes. Bake on medium hot, lightly greased griddle about 30 minutes, turning often. Cool and split. Toast and serve with butter.

Sourdough Applesauce Bread

(makes 1 loaf)

1/3 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

2/3 cup applesauce

1/2 cup sourdough starter

2 cups sifted flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp allspice

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla, mix well. Stir in applesauce and sourdough starter. Set aside. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Add to creamed mixture, mixing well, then stir in nuts.

Place in greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for about 10 minutes, then remove from pan and place on rack to complete cooling. When cool, slice and serve.

Sourdough Pancakes #1

To 1/2 cup sourdough starter, add the following:

Step 1: Mix 1 or 2 eggs, 1 tbsp. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, and 2 tbsp. vegetable oil.

Step 2: Mix 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/4 to 1/3 cup warm water.

When youa re ready to bake on a hot griddle, fold in the eggs, salt, sugar and oil to the sponge. DO NOT OVER BEAT as that breaks down the sponge. Lastly, add the baking soda-water mixture. You should notice the batter begin to foam up as the soda begins to work. Bake as quickly as possible, as that makes for a lighter product. NOTE: you can control the thickness of the batter by the amount of flour in the sponge the night before. When you get ready to bake, add more liquid if too thick, or add a little flour if too thin.

Variation: As part of the total amount of flour, add 1/2 cup or more of whole wheat flour, or buckwheat flour, or cornmeal or some wheat germ as you set the sponge the night before.

Sourdough Starter #2

1 cup sourdough starter

2 eggs, beaten

2 cups milk

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking soda

2 cups flour

3 tbsp. vegetable oil

2 tbsp. sugar

Just before baking pancakes, add to the starter the baking soda, salt, eggs, oil and sugar. Mix well. Bake on hot, lightly greased griddle, turning once. For tinner pancakes, add more milk.

I love it, too...half of my family was from northern California, so we got used to San Francisco sourdough! :) These look like good recipes, I just have to really start practicing with them. I would especially like to practice making a starter with no yeast...the old-fashioned way! :)

Yep. I grew up in Santa Barbara but also enjoyed the San Francisco and various bakeries up in the Gold Rush country which was traditionally where the old sourdough came from . I would think it would have been used by many a pioneer wherever they were at in the country prior to this time as it is such an easy thing to get started really. I spent quite a bit of time there as a teen, camping, exploring and when my parents later built a home in Grass Valley, whenever I visited it was sort of a standard bread much of the time.

Would be nice to be able to come close at least to the San Francisco Sourdough of course but I shall see, once I am successful.

Ive always liked a tuna sandwich on the garlic flavored sourdough bread I used to get in the 90's. Its rather good but then I really like garlic. :grinning-smiley-044:

Hurray, we'll print this out. Sourdough contains good bacteria that help the guts to digest food better.

WTG TM, in particular on letting the bread sponge stand for a long time.

in the past I made mistakes here and produced something resembling a weapon of assault :)

Going to start a starter later today.

Now back to bed with my feverish head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My " Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook" came in yesterday, and I made a sourdough starter. I used a wire wisk to mix it and a metal spoon to put it in the crock with. The recipe just said not to store it in a metal bowl. I was looking for a sourdough bread recipe tonight, and found this topic. It says 'do not use metal spoons or bowls'. Is my starter still good, or do I need to start over?

Archived