MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cost Analysis

Crazy4Canning

So I did a bit of reflecting this weekend...as I tried to get my own house back together after weeks of chaos. For anyone interested in cost breakdowns for moving here in the Northwest, as compared to your area, here you go.

Now, remember, my parents were moving from a major suburb of a major city with a saturated housing market to a small suburb of a smaller city with a housing market in high demand but not overly saturated (across state lines but less than 50 miles away) - they had options, just not many. I did not choose the movers, nor did I count food (lunch/ snack) costs into this - like burgers for lunch or pizza for dinner. If I had, it would have been another couple of hundred dollars. Still, the bottom line is astonishing.

Also, remember the apartment complex my parents chose was one of the LOWEST in the city for move-in fees and charges. They chose it because of the floor plan and the fact that they work with handicapped people and Section 8, should the need arise.

MOVING COSTS

Apartment - $100 Security Deposit & $76.00 Background Check/ Application Fee

U-Haul for moving garage stuff into storage $124.04

ARCO Gas Card $100 (for gas money while moving)

Movers ($85/hour; gas fee, plus mileage out-of-state) $450 +$50 tip = $500

Apartments – Nov. Rent & Move In Deposit $830.00

Stanley Steamer Carpet Cleaners $244

Misc. Cleaning Supplies (Cleaners, contractor bags, gloves, paper towels, Pine Sol) $40

Payment to friend for cleaning help $250

TOTAL: $2264.04

My husband was dead on the nose. He predicted that it would cost between $2000 and $2500 to move and get them settled. I thought it would be less. Mind you, my own gas, time, etc. isn't included in this.

I am glad that I can deduct part of this on my taxes, but it makes me VERY glad I don't have to move our stuff anytime soon. If there was a way to have avoided the movers, I would have, but my husband and friends simply weren't available. And let me say - they were nice, professional, and worth every penny.

Oh - and I also didn't count the clothes I ruined - shoes, jeans, sweatshirt, purse, and coat. The only thing I really cared about was the coat....but it's a THING and can be replaced....

I'm still amazed at the "nickel and diming" that occurred over the past month. My mom has told me that the return of their $1500 deposit and about $300 of the last month's rent is mine in return for our monetary output. While part of me welcomes the monies back, my husband and I have decided that this will be the start of a secret "emergency fund" for them, since we are sure they will fail to plan for the future. Again. I just can't let a huge expense like a burial/ funeral sneak up on us.

Upon more reflection, I see that throughout all of my growing up, there were choices made that led them to this point. It may not have been a complete failure to plan, or a lack of effort. As with most folks, it was a combination of factors.

All I can say is . . . WHEW.

I did have a lovely and low-key Thanksgiving. I even managed to squeeze a couple of naps in. :)

That is astounding! And to think you did most of the work yourself.

Good idea about putting the money away for a rainy day. We used to do that with our son. When he lived here after he finished school, I charged him for room and board. But I opened a bank account and when he paid me every week, it all went in there. When he moved out, I surprised him with a nice chunk of change that he would have otherwise blown.

It is rather surreal driving only 15 minutes to see them. Both my husband and I remarked that my lap didn't get sufficiently cold by holding the relish tray this holiday as when my parents were about 40-50 minutes away.

Yes, the peace of mind is only beginning to be eased. I'll rest easier when social services kicks in.

Oh, and I can't seem to get the smell out of my short winter coat...I've tried homemade soap, clorox all-fabric bleach, oxy-clean, store-bought detergent, and vinegar with a couple different soaps. It's fine until I start to wear it and the fabric heats up...then there is a slight funk that just doesn't leave...the coat is microfiber, lined with a light fleece; it's a light-weight "in-between" coat, one I wear in between wearing a sweater at the end of summer and my wool coats in winter. :wacko: I could try dry cleaning, I suppose.

My husband didn't believe me until I set the coat over the heater...it wasn't as obvious as before, but it was there.

If the baking soda doesn't work, my thought was the dry cleaners. If you take it in, tell them the problem and they may have a special product to get the smell out of material. Something like what is used to get doggy odor out. Did you try Fabreeze? :shrug:

I did Febreeze daily...as the smells came on, I kept some in my car. It was the only way I could wear the coat. I will keep the coat for as long as I can, it was an expensive coat, but I did get 2 years' of use from it.

If the baking soda doesn't work, my thought was the dry cleaners. If you take it in, tell them the problem and they may have a special product to get the smell out of material. Something like what is used to get doggy odor out. Did you try Fabreeze? :shrug:

Once it starts freezing real good, you could hang out the coat in the cold. That may take care of the smell as well.

Sometimes it takes just time to have a smell fade away. Perhaps air it a lot and wash in a mixture of sunlight soap and washing soda, rinsed with vinegar?

Archived