MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Trouble with Tattler canning lids?

Suzy Q

I canned some chicken in 2008 using the reusable Tattler canning lids (plastic lids and rubber seals). I've used them before and not had any issues. In my Dec 2008 batch of chicken, I used Tattler lids and the regular metal one-use lids and raw-packed the chicken (I always raw pack). Most of the jars with Tattler lids either looked funky (meat had varying degrees of gray color above broth-line), one was not sealed and was out-and-out disgusting (can you say SPORES? Didn't open, just threw the whole jar away), or looked ok but smelled "off." All but that one had a good seal, but all of these I ultimately tossed.... when in doubt, right?? The same batch with the metal lids were still perfect in color, smell & seal. I have no idea what happened with the Tattler lids that time... any ideas? Anyone had the same experience with Tattler lids?

I have not used them, but hear some people say there is an odd smell to their jars of food. I am not going to trust them, personally. I will stick with regular lids. Besides, if you put all that money into the plastic lids and then cannot get the gaskets, you are stuck with some expensive plastic lids that have no other purpose.

I ordered a bunch of bulk lids from Lehmans. They seal every time. I like the plain lids, no writing on them, either.

I broke down and purchased a box of the Tattler lids so I would have first hand knowledge of their use. I immediately learned that you must TIGHTEN the rings after removing the jars from the canner, otherwise the lids will not seal properly. To me that is more of a chance for the rims to be contaminated before the lid seals. Several jars did not seal properly so I don't trust them now and I use them solely for vacuum-sealing dry goods.

Violet, I don't know where you are but I cannot afford Lehman's canning jar lids. If you live in the southeast, check out fredsinc.com for a local Fred's Discount store. I buy lids from them for $1.00/dz for regular lids. The managers will usually work with you if you want to buy a case or cases but even if you pay the regular price it is cheaper than Lehman's.

Archived