MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what is up with the weather lately?

It's the end of January and it's 55 degrees in NE Ohio. Also pouring down rain (still) and I hear thunder in the distance. We were supposed to get 4-8 inches of snow last Friday but didn't get a flake.

This entire year has been crazy with the weather. I just hope winter is not in a holding pattern and it will hit when we are supposed to be having spring. Bad for the morale and bad for the tinder buds.

Yesterday was 48 for much of the day and then the temps went up to 51 last evening. Today should be 46 degrees. This is crazy! We have only had 20 something inches of snow and should be up over 60 inches for an average winter...

So here it is the last week of January, so staying inside because it is too cold and snowy outside............................ NOT!

So nice outside today (again) that I was out cleaning up the garden - something I do first thing in the spring!

Also cleaned up inside the greenhouse getting ready for planting later on ( most years I start cleaning end of Feb. or March?)

Walking around the vegetable garden raised beds I see no snow cover so had to go get some hay to cover the things that the snow would have been keeping warm?

more over garlic, more over carrots and for the first time that I can remember had to cover the strawberries! they look like they are stating to green up already.

Thank goodness the ground is finally frozen or the flower bubls would be sprouting up all around.

:AmishMichael2:

Opened the windows today while cleaning ........ fresh air....... nice. It's jean jacket weather again???????

:grinning-smiley-044:

Wanted to let folks know Stephanie and family are fine in AL, but some friends of their's lost their home last night amongst the 200 + homes struck .....

Doesn't seem like we can get a break from big disasters....... good reason to be prepared but honestly if I ever get a place, I will make a storm cellar separately in the yard to store at least some preps because if the house goes, even over a basement, with things likely falling into said basement, just how safe would preps be in a basement under a house that turned to shrapnel and firewood?

I woke up very early today and as the sun rose, I was watching the clouds over the ridge here and there was one rotating again. I was like, wait, this is almost like summer weather . The snow....... hmmm , barely was any...... its well eroded today from the warm days and such. At least the roof is almost clear so its not constantly dripping. ( the sound drives me batty and its loud)..... glad I have a new roof now. phew!

good reason to be prepared but honestly if I ever get a place, I will make a storm cellar separately in the yard to store at least some preps because if the house goes, even over a basement, with things likely falling into said basement, just how safe would preps be in a basement under a house that turned to shrapnel and firewood?

OK THIS got me thinking!

Maybe you should start another thread on this subject.

Just what good would all our prepping be IF the house goes?

Like most we have stuff in closets and basement AND if sometime happens and it includes the house Then what? We could live in yard (tenting) or nearby BUT we would need our supplies?

Yicks!!!!!! :faint3:

:AmishMichael2:

I thought the same thing when Katrina hit. Those poor people could have been prepped to the hilt but when the levees broke there was nothing they could do. Also the damage of Katrina in Mississippi.

A tornado could do the same thing to me. Even if it "just" tore my roof off, the rain would ruin a lot of what might be left.

from a yahoo article today about the CME, solar flare.

excerpt:

"Earth's magnetic field served as a shield, and pretty much shielded the radiation so that it doesn't penetrate that deep," Zheng said. "It's like a car collision: head-on or off to the side. A CME is like that too. For this one, if it was a direct hit, Earth would receive a much stronger impact. This one was on an angle — toward higher latitudes and a little off the ecliptic — otherwise it would be a much stronger impact."

Still, the storm does rank as the biggest space radiation event in about seven years, Spence said.

Archived