MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what is up with the weather lately?

I just had to come in a post about the weather in the last 24 hours here!

On Monday it was 3 degrees outside in the early morning

Then we got some snow (just a dusting). Then the temps went up to 38 degrees and the sun came out. :thumbs:

Overnight it went back down to 28 degrees and we had freezing rain in the middle of the night. :frozen:

Now at 1:15 pm it is POURING RAIN and all the snow is going away (well the 8 inches we had so far this year!)

AND it is January 17th in New York! <---- That would mean Winter any other year?

And the temp is now 42 degrees! :faint3:

I give up!!!!!!! :shrug:

:AmishMichael2:

Well, let me see. We have had snow then it goes, then more snow and it goes. Right now we have just about 2 -4 inches on the ground.

Sun is shining nicely but, it is cold. It was -9 when I first looked and now it is only 5 degrees.

Last week we had temps in the 40's now just a few days and it is freezing.

The sun was out yesterday too, so that is nice, just wish it weren't so cold.

I did get my computer back, but, BUT, I can't find a lot of my stuff. I had started the news letter before the end of the year and now I can't find it. :( So, I guess it will be another week before I get the news letter re-done. :(

Just thought if anyone was interested I would let you all know.

You take care now and don't get to cold. Sometimes I wish we had enough so we could go south for a month or two.

We had a nice breakfast with some other classmates on Saturday and one couple was heading to AZ yesterday and will be gone until in April.

You all have a great day now. :bighug2::bighug2::bighug2::bighug2:

Same kind of winter for us AH. Tonight it's cold, 5 degrees as I write, but it's been as high as 60 just last week. I walked outside in shirt sleeves.

We woke up to a dusting of snow and winds this morning but it's not supposed to last.

I'm in Northern Iowa and we should be having a week or two of below 0 weather. Yep, crazy!!!

Temps have been up and down here like a yo yo! Today 73, tonight 59--tomorrow night 36. One night we use the fan and the next we have the heater on! Also we got almost 3 inches of rain this afternoon and evening!

= = =weather update = = =

Last night about 9pm the scanner goes off that there is a high wind warning for our area!

Like we NEED that along with everything else weather-wise?

Then it hit everything was shaking outside, some towns around us had trees down , telephone poles down and some homes damaged as well as power going out in areas.

Here we had some trees down but still have power.

Also heard some thunder in the middle of the night and some more rain as well?

Sure sounds like August weather to me - BUT this is January!

Glad this is another week we will NOT be helping our Amish Friends make/cut ice - Need to fill the Ice Houses for next Summer and by now some of them would be full?

Here in the desert, the weather has been odd also.

We had around an inch of rain two days ago. More rain than normal for this time a year. Believe me, I am not complaining, the rain has helped my garden like never before. :amen:

One notable thing I noticed, the shadow of our house used to stop at the edge of our cement porch, this year it extended 4 foot out in the yard, at the apex of winter. It is receding now. :shrug:

Our weather has been like Michael & Lori's...but with a bit more snow. We are still nowhere near where we should be as far as the snow is concerned. I am subscribed to some weather alerts that are supposed to be for elected officials (long story as to how I got subscribed) but the come directly to my cell phone. My phone was having a hissy-fit for the past two days about the high wind advisories. The winds hit our house like a ton of bricks last night, so I had a lot of trouble sleeping. I made sure that everything was charged up in case we lost power. It never even flickered.

My mom mentioned last week (I think) that we haven't had this kind of winter weather since the winter that led up to the blizzard of 1966. I wasn't around for it but I've seen the pictures and it sure wasn't pretty. That is the winter that dad stopped smoking. Not by choice but because he couldn't get to the store to buy any. He drove the rest of the family NUTS!

We made it to 54 degrees yesterday and today we won't get out of the 20s. DH works outside and has trouble with the big temp. fluctuations.

We had the strong winds yesterday evening and last night, too.

We haven't had much snow this winter...just dustings or an inch or two. Then again, I'm not having a roof put on my house this winter like last winter. Completely explains all the snow last winter and barely any now! :cheeky-smiley-067:

One notable thing I noticed, the shadow of our house used to stop at the edge of our cement porch, this year it extended 4 foot out in the yard, at the apex of winter. It is receding now. :shrug:

WOW! THAT got me thinking?

Longer showers would mean the earth is tipped more on its axis then before? now I haven't heard anything about THAT happening? Did you move your house? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

might be something going on with sun angles which would explain the weird weather? :shrug:

Magnetic poles shifting faster perhaps? Annarchy did you just notice this this winter, and previous winters its been the 4 ft difference?

I don't know, weather is odd again but almost like early spring instead of mid winter here. a little snow, a little rain.... snow, more like bits and pieces but tonight another 3 inches has fallen....so far. was only forecasted maybe two ..... usually we are getting it at a foot or more by now. Hmm.

I know the axis had already changed and it is said that as the poles shift that it goes faster and faster as we get closer to the galactic center, all of which is truly occuring in space.

wonders if we really go down the rabbit hole ????

Guess we wait and see.

I am not outside enough to check shadow spots , but you keep an eye on that , Annarchy! :animal0017:

Yep, TMC, those winds were howling and blowing things around that people had not secured the other night. Its been nice to just see some snow whirl down although a bit more would not be amiss!

That post Annarchy made got me up wide awake suddenly. Like Michael, initial reaction was, only possible when the axis has shifted.

Or your hubby secretly raised the roof that one day you were in town :)

Arby, do you have info on the poles already having shifted?

I'm not sure now if I'm imagining things but this winter seemed to me that the shadows that come over the houses in front, started earlier then usual with sundown. Aka less sun in the house in the afternoon. Shrugged it off cos that'd be silly wouldn't it?

But now I'm wide awake and looking for more info.

I have been looking for more info on it also. DH had said something about the axis shifting also, but I have been unsuccessful in finding anything on it.

Yes, Arby, this is the first year the shadows have been that extended. I noticed it around mid summer. I have a pine tree next to my garden, in previous years, the shadow would cover 98% of my garden, so I did not have to cover with sun screen material. This past summer/fall only 75% of my garden was shaded. The intensity of direct sun tends to wither and fry my plants. Another interesting thing, I strive to make my avocado seeds grow. Knowing full well it is too hot and to dry here for them to grow. Last year all my seeds grew and I had two trees that were promising. (The skunk that ate them thought so too.)

My theory, maybe the earth shifted during those earthquakes. Our weather from summer on has been more like CA and the weather in TX has been more like ours. I can not find anything on that either, but I am still looking. Also, if I remember my history correctly, the huge CA earthquake in the 1900's then the drought/dust bowl? DH said maybe the powers that be do not want the public to know because it would cause panic. Changes in our weather patterns would disrupt farming and food crops world wide.

This summer I will confirm the shadow difference. I have a chair placed against the house, for years I'd sit in it with only my toes in the sunshine doing my work. We shall see if it has changed.

Raised our roof or moved our house... hmmmm, I do not think he did. :cheeky-smiley-067:

OK, Here we go!

I did 'dig' this up and I don't know the source but it does look a bit scary as to what is going on with the earth axis shifting :

http://www.divulgence.net/

Then there is this part which 'tries' to explain what is going on with all the earthquakes and how it may have something to do with all that is happening:

http://www.divulgence.net/solar_angle_variables.htm

Reading it over it does make me think we have had a few things happen that was not out there for all to see?

Interesting. I have to admit that the weather has been crazy this whole year. I do not remember this much rain before. My yard has been soup since last spring. It barely dries up and we have more rain. Then here winter comes and I am expecting that at least the yard will dry up. No we may be in the high 50's one day and down to the 20's the next. It was 5 degrees yesterday. We have snow right now, but I looked at the extended forcast and we have more rain coming. We have had 10 or more days a month of rain every month for the last year, even in the winter. You never know how to dress for the weather. It can be freezing in the morning and warm in the afternoon. Or go the complete oposite. We have had snow, rain, freezing rain back to rain or maybe snow all in the same day. Snow never lasts more than a couple of days this year because it is always followed by more rain. Then when te ground is good and wet from the rain, it freezes and we have ice or snow on top of ice. I bet we haven't had more than 5 inches of snow this winter all together. I might be off, but we get 1 -2 inches then it rains again. The only way we might have had more than 5 inches this winter is if we have had it stick more days than I remember. I only remember it sticking 3 times this winter. That is not normal for Ohio by the middle of January. I keep waiting for the other shoe to fall. You know, the bad blizzard that will leave us stuck at home for days. I have actually only had to drive home from work with bad road conditions twice this year. Not normal for the area at all.

Oh, going along with the comments of the shadows changing. I admit that I don't watch the sun much, so I didn't notice, but my brother says that the sun was coming up in way the wrong spot. He said that during the summer he saw it come up one day and two days later it was way over in a different part of the yard and it shouldn't not have been there. It stayed in that spot after that, or gradually changed in a normal pattern each day after that, but that the first move was a jump to a completely different part of the yard.

So I'm not crazy that all summer it rained like if there was no tomorrow and the only place in the sitting area in the garden in the sun late afternoon was in the shade half an hour earlier?

Honest, hand on heart, I thought I was imagining things.

NASA does a good job explaining what is going on this winter

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/17jan_missingsnow/

An excerpt:

What's going on? Patzert identifies two culprits: La Niña and the Arctic Oscillation.

First of all," he explains, "we are experiencing a La Niña pattern of sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean. This pushes the jet stream and the cold arctic air northward."

"On top of that, this year's Arctic Oscillation has been stronger."

The Arctic Oscillation is a see-sawing pressure difference between the Arctic and lower latitudes. When the pressure difference is high, a whirlpool of air forms around the North Pole. Last year, the whirlpool motion was weaker, allowing cold air to escape from the polar regions and head southward to the US.

"This year the whirlpool has been more forceful, corralling the cold air and keeping it nearer the pole. That has reinforced the La Niña impact."

NASA does a good job explaining what is going on this winter

http://science.nasa....an_missingsnow/

An excerpt:

What's going on? Patzert identifies two culprits: La Niña and the Arctic Oscillation.

First of all," he explains, "we are experiencing a La Niña pattern of sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean. This pushes the jet stream and the cold arctic air northward."

"On top of that, this year's Arctic Oscillation has been stronger."

The Arctic Oscillation is a see-sawing pressure difference between the Arctic and lower latitudes. When the pressure difference is high, a whirlpool of air forms around the North Pole. Last year, the whirlpool motion was weaker, allowing cold air to escape from the polar regions and head southward to the US.

"This year the whirlpool has been more forceful, corralling the cold air and keeping it nearer the pole. That has reinforced the La Niña impact."

OK,so I went and read that report but he didn't say anything about WHY the sun has moved in the sky (like at sunset) or why the shadows are all out of wack?

He also gave no reasons for WHY things are happening in his report, like cycles or tilt of axes or anything like that to explain why we are having the jet steam move or the poler winds to move?

So maybe things are happening for him BECAUSE of what the other link has stated? :shrug:

For me you can talk all the ta;l you want and you can have LOTS of ideas why things are happening BUT you can't stop things like SEEING that the sun has moved and the shadows are differant.

I agree that this may explain the lack of snow pattern we have had this year. We just got our first real storm in ohio. It has snowed and stuck before, but this morning is the first time we have several inches to get through. I am debating if I can drive out of my driveway this morning. It is a quater mile long, so hand shoveling it is a mess and I don't have anything else to plow it. We normally depend on the kindness of my neighbors, or park at the end and walk up the drive once it is plowed. Anyway, we got several inches, before this it has been maybe an inch and then it warms up and melts.

However what he says does not explain the sun or even why so much more rain this year. After all, it may make it rain instead of snow in the winter, but we don't normally have such a wet summer. As I mentioned before we have had at least a third of the days every month with rain and not just a little. The puddles have had little tme to dry up before another downpour. That is nor normal for this area. Things have definately changed.

today was:

5 am-19 outside and snowing (2" after done snowing)

8 am- 21 outside and cold and windy

12 noon- 49 outside and the sun is shining bright

5 pm- 23 outside and looking for rain!

we were on the road doing things and visiting today and when we left one place it was cold and the wind was blowing.......

get to the next place and the sun was out and the air felt warm. Go shopping go in with wind blowing hard and cold,and come out it was like spring had come. get home to unpack and we are freezing with cold and wind again? heat on in van , then off, then on again. Coats zipped up tight with gloves and hats on, then gloves off, then coats unzipped. Then gloves back on and coat zipped tight.

On........... then off................... alll day long.

Have a nice day!

I've not read anything here regarding H.A.A.R.P. (High-Frequency Active Aural Research Program, the $30 million [Pentagon] project). Here are a couple of eye-opening articles that, seemingly, fit the bill:

http://www.cuttingedge.org/News/n1207.cfm

http://www.copvcia.com/free/pandora/haarp.html

I don't put anything past our oppressing gov'ment.

The last few days we have had in the 20's at night and daytime temps were from high 70's to 83. Today, temp is in mid 70's but we are having a dozey of a sandstorm and a high pollen count. Sky is brown with dirt and high wind. A little rain and we would have mud balls--which would be the first time.

Amazing! I have about decided that you are right AH. Well, at least we can say it is not boring around here.:cheeky-smiley-067:

Archived