MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Homemade yogurt and cheeses, sourcream

Having made fresh homemade yogurt yesterday, cooling it overnight, using whole organic milk and chobani greek yogurt in my yogurt maker , I am going to the next step in making sour cream, cream cheese or cheese.

I also added some dry instant milk because I like my yogurt thicker.

All you have to do is line a clean colander with about 4-5 layers of coffee filters or other suitable or clean thin cloth/paper, spoon out evenly the 3 yogurt containers in a small colander or more into a larger colander. I found I could only do 3 containers.

resting the colander in a clean bowl and covering the colander and bowl top with saran wrap or something to seal it from getting anything in it you don't want in there and refrigerating it while the whey drips into the bowl for several hours to drain it well.

What I found was that it is like thick sour cream or starting to sweeten some into cream cheese flavor. Once drained if you put it in a covered container it will sweeten more in a couple of days and should be fine to eat.

If one wants to make harder cheese, they can wrap it in clean muslin and press between something that wont be bothered by fluids to drain it more and possibly shape it, and then let dry undisturbed in a safe place with no obvious kitchen smells , then wax to preserve it. Waxed cheese will last up to 2 yrs in cool , dry storage.

One may stir in dried herbs to flavor it after it is drained as well.

One of the reasons I prefer homemade yogurt is that I am using milk with Vitamin D added. Most commercial yogurts and some of the cheeses use milk before the Vitamin D is added. Vitamin D deficiency with every one scared to get out in the sun is becoming rampant and some of us are more housebound than we like. It can affect anyone.

By using organic products as much as possible, you are enhancing your health as well compared to massive GMO produced commercially sold food items today.

Dairy products are one of our mainstays and the milk is now available at a decent price at my local store, regionally produced dairy farm as well. So, I will take advantage of it.

The Chobani Greek Yogurt is wonderful stuff.

post-3311-066920400 1330368626_thumb.jpg

oh my goodness, the pic gets HUGE if you click on it. ( It didn't do that on FB!) LOL :grinning-smiley-044:

Archived