MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How Much Can You Safely Drink?

winknasmile

I used to have a number of plants that I made teas from. I got tired of them and mowed them off long enough that they are completely gone. NOW, I want to start again. I loved my chocolate mint in the evening. I also liked my lemon balm, spearmint, etc. In the winter I might drink 3 or 4 cups of tea in the evening. In the summer 3 or 4 big glasses of cold tea. My question is, how much of these herbal teas are safe? Tea I buy in the store I drink all I want but not sure about my own homegrown.

Anyone know how to find out?

Remember that medications you take might be affected by the teas, too. Ask your doctor or pharmacist, or do some online research, according to the medication.

:bighug2:

I always explain what herbs or generally what is in a tea I would drink if its the doc, that I take, or at least the brand and type of tea. I check the herbs too, that are in various blends like Celestial Seasonings uses, so that I am at least familiar with general affects or any cautions about them.

Usually I don't run into a doctor that refuses to at least will consider the affects an herb can have for a certain condition.

I like The Herb Book because it does give proper explanations, definitions and uses medical terminology on the affects an herb and they are all clearly listed . It also has great descriptions of the shapes of each plant part. Very exact. All the proper terms to help with identification.

what the differences are with infusions, decoctions and such things in how you would prepare it. Because they do vary.

good luck with your doctor.

I also am trying to learn what our typical foods can simply do for nutrients and such. And I don't go in for the expensive hyped stuff on supplement mixes. They are simply helping me get back to a better situation in managing my health, but I am really choosy about it and take time to see how the singular choices affect me before adding anything else. I won't even touch herbs that are very powerful or not recommended with very very careful usage by someone very knowledgeable.

But I definitely agree sometimes they can conflict or you need to be cautious with accompanying various medications so it is nice to see you are studying up on it. Also , prior to surgeries there may be a need to stop something, especially those that thin the blood out.

If you are going to have to have EMS help, ( ever) they also need a list because they may have to apply medication, that can conflict also. A ziploc bag with a list, taped on the inside of the door they are likely to come in is handy for them to grab and see. Update as needed, or some other easy to find safe place you know it wont disappear from. Meds and herbs list. Its just easier to remember if its on the back of the door. for me anyhow.

Archived