MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

So every year I ' barter ' for a hay bale or two of straw, hay or barley straw to use as mulch in my Gardens, This year One of our Amish Friends has 'free' Soybean straw he baled up and was using for bedding in the barn and has 2 extras for me.

So when I get them home I starting thinking IF this is going to work as mulch in the Vegetable Garden? I do mostly companion gardening and I know that some things are not to go next to beans? (Don’t have chart here at the moment) SO, can I use it as mulch and be safe, I want to cut down on weeds and keep in the moisture but no kill the plants. :shrug:

:AmishMichaelstraw:

One thing I know about soy bean straw, it is very coarse. Thick strands instead of thin. Might work to cover small plants as hail protection tho. :unsure:

Used it looooong ago for my horse bedding as a teen. Don't know about companion-type issues.

Free is free...gotta be good for something.

MtRider [...my goats would prolly eat it, being a legume. :shrug: ]

One thing I know about soy bean straw, it is very coarse. Thick strands instead of thin. Might work to cover small plants as hail protection tho. :unsure:

Used it looooong ago for my horse bedding as a teen. Don't know about companion-type issues.

Free is free...gotta be good for something.

MtRider [...my goats would prolly eat it, being a legume. :shrug: ]

NO using 4 letter words on this site! :grinning-smiley-044:

you sid HAIL! and I don't want or need that now that things are out in the garden. :sad-smiley-012:

arby had some and she can keep it! :sHa_sarcasticlol: