MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A quick answer from Violet please!

When you posted that you canned 'chuck stew meat', did you buy a chuck roast and cut in chunks, or did you buy already cut up stew meat? Chuck roast is on sale until Friday at a local store for 2.55 a lb, and that is about as cheap as it gets around here. I don't know what kind of cut stew meat comes from, so wasn't sure it would be as good as chuck roast.

Hey Violet, I did arm roasts yesterday and got 15 pints. My problem is the jars came out of the canner 1/2 to 3/4 full. Are they ok?

Trudy I learned a good lesson. Pack those jars tight as you can because the meat really shrinks down.

Thanks!!!

If they are 3/4, then I would say OK. The ones half full may have too much air in them and not a good seal. Can you open them and use them in a few days ? Or do you have too many ? All that air may cause the tops to dry out and also turn dark.

I always use broth in my meats, not raw pack by itself. I find it turns out a better product.

These were so bad I emptied each of the 15 jars and put the meat in the freezer. I called the extension office and they're the ones that told me to do dry pack. I'd always added liquid to pork and chicken and thought I had beef but I listened to them.

Thanks for the helpl Violet!