MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If I actually got paid for my overtime...

...I wouldn't have any non-mortgage debt. And I'd be refinancing the house with a significant additional payment.

That's IT, I have got to find the energy to pursue the job search. I am way too non-confrontational...and in this job market you can ill afford pissing your boss off/standing up for yourself a bit.

Boss says "we just have a few months that will be crazy as we get new clients on, but you'll have great opportunities after!"...which isn't very concrete.

He said he was going to hire extra help...nope.

He said I'd get a raise with decent performance at the six month mark...nope (been more than a year and they keep stalling on reviews).

And WHAT, exactly will we gain for all our blood sweat and tears? Most rational bosses would at least toss out the likelihood of a bonus after the real money comes in.

Since it's very, very hard for half my office to leave for a different place, Boss is taking full advantage of a mostly-captive audience.

Oh and any collaborative efforts with the co-workers have died on the vine; the game now is "shove your work on someone else and backstab when they aren't looking."

:mad:

Sick of being jerked along...sick of being talked down to...lots of people are hurting for a job but managers have to remember that the GOOD employees usually have options...

Thanks for the suggestion, but my job is classified as "salaried," so I'm SOL there short of a high court's decision. So there's no signing in and out, but "expected" hours are about an hour a day longer than the theoretical schedule. I guess one could always subpoena the server logs. :baseballbat:

The longer I stay here the more I'm aiding/abetting this behavior though...

Hers was too. Seriously, courts are turning over employers' designations of "salaried" more often than you'd think. Not exactly left and right, but still. There's reasons the employer purges your records as soon as possible.

Edited by Ambergris

Salaried doesn't mean anything to wage and hour and they are the ones that determine if you are due overtime. You don't have to go to court, you file with the Dept. of Labor, wage and hour division.

Check out here to see if you are eligible for overtime pay.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17a_overview.pdf

We have been down this road before. What counts is WHAT YOU DO! And they are pretty specific. Salaried just changes how they figure things. You do need to keep track of your time. Do you use a time card? Keep a copy of it at the end of each week. If you do isolated things on the weekends (my hubby was in apartment maintenance), keep track of what you do and what time and how long it took.

They will go back a couple of years. Now, your boss will find out who did it but, legally, he cannot fire you for that (of course, that doesn't mean he won't be mean) but, in some states, he can fire you because of whatever.

Besides getting your backpay, the company will find out who is eligible for the overtime pay but only the one(s) that complain will get their pay unless it is a big enough company that wage and hour wants to go after them.