MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm back to lo-carbing......

ozzzyyy

After gaining again and feeling pretty poorly healthwise I decided to go back to a lo carb way of life. Cutting out sugar and excess carbs always makes me feel really good and inreases my energy levels; I don't know why I keep falling off the wagon!

Anyhoo....I'm back and wondering if there are others here that I can glean wise counsel, recipes and success stories from?? Sure do miss Deeknight!! Girl...come back and motivate me!

I did find an article about 10 best lo-carb snacks, I'll share:

HOORAY! Top 10 Low-Carb Snacks

by Kim Droze

eDiets Managing Editor

Snack attacks can be the death of any weight-loss program.

One minute you’re going about your business, gloating over your 2-pound loss. Then that old familiar grumbling starts. It’s your stomach and it wants to be fed... NOW!

No matter how hard you try to ignore the evil callings, the cravings won’t quit. Before you know it, you’re racing full speed ahead to the nearest convenience store where you throw a supersized bag of Munchos, a Snickers and a jumbo fountain soda on the counter. You’re so hell-bent on feeding your face you don’t even wait around to collect your change.

But not all snack attacks have to end this way. Believe it or not, snacking is a positive thing -- when done properly. One of the biggest misconceptions people make is confusing a snack with a treat, according to Stephanie Grozdea, food editor for Atkins Nutritionals. Snacks are an everyday affair; treats are an occasional indulgence. Far too many people mistreat themselves, going for high-carb snacks loaded with all the wrong things.

According to Webster’s II New Riverside Dictionary, a snack is a hurried or light meal. Nowhere does it say anything about chocolate chip cookies, brownies, potato chips or any other junk food. Most nutrition experts agree that you should have a couple of healthy snacks a day.

“While doing Atkins calls for three satisfying, protein-rich meals a day, many people will also need the need for between-meal nibbles," Grozdea tells eDiets. "If you get hungry between meals, have something that can provide protein as a source of energy. The proper amount of fat will also help hold you over until your next meal. Small snacks prevent you from going on an all-out binge and blowing your diet.”

No matter what weight-loss approach you’re taking, snacking is an important part of your eating regimen. Of course, following a low-carb regimen like Atkins can help you change the way you look at snacking. The ideal snack is flavorful so that a small amount is satisfying, rich in the macronutrients protein, calcium and fat, and low in carbohydrates. Good snacks should also maintain your blood sugar level so you don’t get dips and swoops of hunger during the day. ...

The key to healthy snacking is planning ahead, says Grozdea. It’s that simple. Investing a little time will go a long way in preserving your weight loss endeavors. One secret to snacking made easy is to put those lunch or

dinner leftovers to good use.

Grozdea adds, “We also suggest when people make dinner, they make a little extra chicken or roast beef for lunch or a snack the next day. You can mix in some mayonnaise or flavorings. Hollowed-out vegetables are also great. Fill the shell of a small zucchini with tuna or chicken salad. This works beautiful as a snack."

One thing to keep in my mind: there are four phases of Atkins: Induction, Ongoing Weight Loss, Pre-Maintenance and Lifetime Maintenance. Carb intake is most controlled in Induction so not all of the snacks listed below are appropriate. The first five suggested are ideal for people who are in the Induction phase. You can enjoy the rest of the snacks once you’ve moved past the first phase.

Atkins itself has a line of snack foods that include Atkins Crunchers chips and Atkins Advantage bars. The key to snacking on such packaged goodies is moderation.

Your top 10 make-at-home, low-carb snacks:

1. Cut up celery sticks, zucchini sticks, jicama sticks and other low-carb vegetables. Serve veggies of choice with blue cheese dressing for dipping.

2. Wrap cold cut ham, roast beef, turkey and cheese around a pickle spear.

3. Make your own deviled stuffed eggs. Use mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, garlic powder, ham, celery, onion and capers.

4. Enjoy homemade guacamole. Combine green onions, jalapenos peppers, cilantro, lime juice and tomato.

5. Keep small amounts of hard cheese on hand.

6. Indulge in a small handful of nuts or pumpkin seeds.

7. Toast a piece of low-carb bread and top it with unsweetened peanut butter.

8. Make your own fricos. Put small mounds of cheddar cheese on a baking sheet, then cook until crisp.

9. Whip up a batch of mini pizzas. Use a round cookie cutter on low-carb bread. Add a tablespoon of controlled-carb tomato sauce. Top with shredded mozzarella and oregano. Bake in the oven.

10. Fill a low-carb tortilla with a thin later of hummus. Top with sprouts and thinly sliced tomatoes.

Other snack ideas include:

Make a batch of decaf iced tea. Add the sugar substitute Splenda and lemon juice. Freeze in plastic Popsicle mold for a cool snack.

Put fresh berries in the freezer for a refreshing treat. Serve with cream.

We keep you informed of the best choices and best foods. To get started with the eDiets-personalized Atkins plan, click here and fill out a free diet profile.

http://www.ediets.com/index.cfm

I know this past month + has been hard on me as far as eating goes.

I have not been cooking like I had before the kids came. I am showing it more ways than one. My sugar is up again too, and I don't like that at all.

(((((((Snow)))))))

I know having children around can make it tough on the waistline....Once upon a time, when I had my daycare going, it seemed like I was forever snacking on something because the kids were. Small children needed frequent snacks, I didn't!

I think fricos are as explained...cheese melted flat on a pan. I'm assuming its like the cheese that falls off the burrito and coats the pan. I always liked that part.....now I have to skip the burrito

Guest Guest

I wonder if we could have a separate food category in the recipe book for low carb/diabetic recipes. I have some good low carb recipes I could post. Wish I could go back on Atkin's, but can't now that I've have kidney trouble.

I was doing great on my diet while in the hospital, and when I first got out, but it seems that my appetite recovered with me! Having a much more difficult time lately.

Happy, successful dieting, to all of you who are working on it.

Ginger, we have some ladies on our board that are on the Atkins diet. One gal, wabbit, is really informed and dedicated. She's lost 40 pounds since February. She has gotten very creative with recipes and you'll find a bunch here: wabbit's recipes

I copied the list you posted above and posted it on our board. Thanks! kiss2.gif

((((((Edensong))))))))

Great to see you again!!!! Thanks so much for sharing inspiration and recipes to boot!! I wil surely check them out! Go Wabbit, Go, Way to go!!

Mare, I do know how difficult it is to lose weight. I know for me, I need equal balance of eating the right way (for me) and excercise! Hey, thats an excellent idea to post lo- carb/diabetic recipes in thier own category!

Keep on keepin' on!

I have a class reunion coming up the end of July and would like to lose a few pounds.

EDIT: Hey, Ginger, I shared the snack list on our board and wabbit had these comments:

ES, those are great snack ideas. But I must emphasise that not all of them are acceptable on induction... a couple only on maintenance.

On induction: 1, 2, 3, and 8 are ok

On on-going-weight loss (OWL): 4, 6 and 9

Maintenance: 10

More great ideas are:

1. spread some cream cheese on ham or roast beef slices and roll up around an asparagus spear.

2. layer the following in order: lettuce leaf, mayo, thinly sliced cheese, ham or chicken or beef. Roll up and enjoy.

3. celery stick filled with cream cheese

4. pork rinds

5. left over cold meat from the fridge.

6. deviled eggs

7. pickled eggs (made with vinegar, salt, pickling spice and splenda)

8. boiled eggs

9. tuna right from the can

10. tuna salad (tuna, mayo, celery) with pork rinds to dip.

Here's another post from wabbit:

No fruits are allowed on induction. Sorry. Reason? Fruits, especially apricots are very high in sugar... fructose, which is a suagr occuring in fruit. The purpose of induction is to rid your body of sugar and other carbs. Believe me, if you do, you will feel so good and hunger and cravings will go away. HONEST.

Here's a list of veggies that are the best to stick to on induction. If you stick to just these on induction, you will go far.

lettuce (romaine is best. the darker the green to better it is for you)

spinach

celery

green or red peppers

cucumbers

zucchini

green beans

yellow beans

broccoli

cauliflower

cabbage

very small amount of tomatoes (I stayed away from them, they are quite high in carbs)

Remember to count the carbs in these vegggies carefully. You'll be amazed at how quickly the carbs add up.

Also, don't forget to count the carbs in spices. Most spices and herbs are about 1 gram per teaspoon. They add up, too.

NOTE: the first few days you will get headaches - these are just withdrawl headaches, so nothing to worry about. You may also feel icky and tired those first days. No worries, it's just your body getting used to this way of eating and getting rid of toxins.