MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Good thing I shoveled those paths the other day out to the out buildings!

Lori said we were having a fish fry and here we have no Cabbage in the house.

But wait!

So off I went out to the garden with a snow shovel, take the path that goes past the compost bins to the greenhouse. It was just a short dig to clear a path to the raised bed that we had Cabbage growing last year. Well I had 'tried' to get in a second harvest with the last of the cabbage plants I had started in the summer but they were too small to harvest so I cover them.......... and forgot about them!

Well I dug up one (small) but go enough to make cole slaw for Supper!

On the way back dug down in another part of the garden and pulled up a carrot to go with it. I Love that I can leave stuff out in the gardens (under cover until it snows) and harvest in the middle of the winter. This will come in handy if (when) the time comes where we can’t get into town for supplies?

“It’s a good thing- Martha!”

:AmishMichael2:

Makes me wonder if it's possible to have veggies in our square foot gardening squares if we cover them. We start our veggies in March and if there's a frost coming, we drape the opaque milar stuff over the "pvcp" hoops and they are unharmed. Didn't lose anything last year to frost. All kinds of thoughts wandering through Philbe's head! Pondering...hmmm.

Awesome job AH.

Because we do freeze here at night in the winter, I cover everything with old sheets. Our gardens in MI were harvested completely by fall, but I would usually start too early in the spring and have to cover everything nightly. Used old sheets then too.

While I like to leave things like carrots out in the garden so I can go out in the middle of the winter to harvest, I give you this warning.

They are out there no growing but still using the soil so I have to watch what I put where and make sure I give the soil a good 'feeding' after I pull what's left come spring.

I never plant stuff I plan to leave anywhere I plan to put in new seeds come early spring - like Peas.

Also be on the lookout because mice and some bug LOVE to dig tunnels under the snow and run along the ground for 'free' meals all winter long! Another reason we leave some stuff out so they can have 'fresh' greens. LOL

Michael (smiles take too long to load)