MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lacto-fermented soda

Very interesting! I make ginger beer and I have recipes for a few other sodas like rootbeer, but the recipes call for yeast to produce the bubbles in the soda. I've never seen it done this way. My recipe requires less babysitting ad I can bottle it in wine bottles with screw caps. The one time that I tried to bottle it in a wine bottle with a wire cage, it somehow blew the wire cage off and the cork shot up to the ceiling. I wasn't home when it happened but the rest of the family said that it sounded like a gunshot!

I may have a stash of screw cap wine bottles already :-) How do you know if a recipe is safe for them martianchick?

Could I replace some of the sugar in the Fankhauser recipe with honey Armyof5? We had a rootbeer at Monticello that used honey and boy that was a delicious summer treat! I'm guessing yeast wouldn't care, but you never know.

Thanks for the help!

ok, read the article on the blog and copy and pasted the directions. I really want to do this, some day. It does caution one to definitely refrigerate because they are concerned it can bust the bottles? Wouldnt beer style bottles work? They dont break, unless smashed on purpose when beer gets warm. :puzzledsmile:

As for the term lacto fermentation, really, no kidding? It turns me off for some odd reason to think of that term, lol. ok, ok, Im weird but thats a funky term! I thought it was going to be about sour stuff.

I had something long ago in Iceland that is like keffir and its sour. It was also so tangy from the green apple flavoring I didn't like it even though I love green apples normally. So, even though Ive eaten tofu and veggie burgers alot , in the past , at times, I have sort of stayed clear of lacto fermented discussions til now, but I won't turn down a good soda pop if that is all this does!

I was also thinking of using local raw honey for rootbeer making.... that sounded really good and making my own vanilla extract..

Edited by arby

I think the lacto refers to the type of bacteria, but you're right. The only reason I even read the article was because I couldn't get my mind around the words "lacto-fermentation" and "soda" being used together. But I love a good rootbeer and a good ginger ale, so how can I resist?

And the refrigeration is because these are naturally carbonating beverages. If you let them carbonate too much in a warm environment, they can explode beer bottles.