MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Violet --- Canning issue about acid addition, tomato products

Do all tomato canning tasks require additional acid, like lemon juice addition due to low acid in tomatoes for Pressure Cooker and Water Bath Canning or just Water Bath Canning ( and I know its probably they should all be canned in Pressure Canner right? for safety.... ).

I came across this question on fb in a canning group ----- some of them are obviously using really old information or guerrilla recipes as 'safe' and I don't agree, either. So I told them let me ask a real expert who is certified and teaches.

Yes, it sort of makes steam come out of my ears too, Violet :shakinghead:

You MUST acidify ALL tomatoes whether in a pressure canner or boiling water bath canner. The times in each of them is equal in the manner in which botulism is destroyed. If acid were not added, then the tomatoes would be processed so long you would not want to even eat them. There is absoloutely no way to determine just how long that would be.

I have discussed this via email with Elizabeth Andress from the University of Georgia, plus live on a webinar. She is the lady who wrote the USDA guides to safe food preservation.

There are only a few exceptions where acid is not called for. I know the spaghetti sauce is one, but the thickness makes a difference in canning methods, as well.

There are some tomato products that are safe in the boiling water bath canner, many are not. Stewed tomatoes must be pressure canned, for example. However, just plain tomatoes in jars with the proper acid added takes 85 min. in a BWB canner. That is a long time, so I do all mine in the pressure canner.

It is all a science as to how thick the food is, the size of the pieces in a jar, if other ingredients are added, if the food is packed raw or hot. Also, many people argue it is safe to use Clear jel to thicken salsa or other tomato foods before canning. It is NOT safe to ever thicken any tomato product before preserving.

The foods are tested and retested in labs to determine what times and methods will destroy botulism. The foods are tested at many different stages, both before and after preserving. They are tested months later, too, to insure the time and methods were correct.

Not following safe current methods is like playing Russian Roulette. There are reasons why each step is part of the safety in preserving foods.

I suggest every person who is canning at home to at least take the free online course from the University of Georgia.

Thankyou, Violet. I copy'd the body of it and posted it. There were others too who were trying to clarify but I really wonder about some of these folks not monitoring for proper canning methods. Serious liability for the administrators if something happens down the line on FB groups!

You MUST acidify ALL tomatoes whether in a pressure canner or boiling water bath canner. The times in each of them is equal in the manner in which botulism is destroyed. If acid were not added, then the tomatoes would be processed so long you would not want to even eat them. There is absoloutely no way to determine just how long that would be.

I have discussed this via email with Elizabeth Andress from the University of Georgia, plus live on a webinar. She is the lady who wrote the USDA guides to safe food preservation.

There are only a few exceptions where acid is not called for. I know the spaghetti sauce is one, but the thickness makes a difference in canning methods, as well.

There are some tomato products that are safe in the boiling water bath canner, many are not. Stewed tomatoes must be pressure canned, for example. However, just plain tomatoes in jars with the proper acid added takes 85 min. in a BWB canner. That is a long time, so I do all mine in the pressure canner.

It is all a science as to how thick the food is, the size of the pieces in a jar, if other ingredients are added, if the food is packed raw or hot. Also, many people argue it is safe to use Clear jel to thicken salsa or other tomato foods before canning. It is NOT safe to ever thicken any tomato product before preserving.

The foods are tested and retested in labs to determine what times and methods will destroy botulism. The foods are tested at many different stages, both before and after preserving. They are tested months later, too, to insure the time and methods were correct.

Not following safe current methods is like playing Russian Roulette. There are reasons why each step is part of the safety in preserving foods.

I suggest every person who is canning at home to at least take the free online course from the University of Georgia.

Is there a link available?

I think this is the one she's referring to, Philbe: http://nchfp.uga.edu/ (scroll down to the bottom)

Announcing a free, self-paced, online course for those wanting to learn more about home canning and preservation.

• Introduction to Food Preservation
  • General Canning
  • Canning Acid Foods
  • Canning Low-Acid Foods

This course is offered in the University of Georgia eLC system. UGA requires registration for you to receive a login.

So Easy To Preserve The University of Georgia Cooperative Extension is pleased to offer the 5th edition of its popular book, So Easy To Preserve. This beautiful book contains the latest U.S. Department of Agriculture recommendations for safe food preservation. So Easy To Preserve is now a 375-page book with over 185 tested recipes, along with step by step instructions and in-depth information for both the new and experienced food preserver. Chapters include Preserving Food, Canning, Pickled Products, Jellied Fruit Products, Freezing and Drying. This 5th edition has 35 new tested recipes and processes, in addition to a new section with recommended procedures for home-canned salsas.

I signed up for it when out_of_the_ordinary posted the link in the shoutbox not that long ago -- it took about 4 or 5 days for them to email the sign-in info, just wanted to mention that so you don't sign up and think they forgot or anything like that. The login info is valid for 6 months

It's *really* good :) I am enjoying it a lot -- and learning a ton.

Edited by lumabean