MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

9% vinegar

I ran into someone getting canning jars the other day who said the recipes she was using (handed down) called for 9% vinegar.

Do any of you use 9% vinegar? What do you use it on?

I found some at HEB, but not sure if I need it. Getting ready to make some pickles and can tomatoes.

Thanks.

Thanks. She did say she was using old recipes handed down from an old family, so I guess that's why they called for 9%.

There are a lot of such recipes. One could buy varing strengths in the old days, but economical homemakers bought the most powerful and cut to desired strength. I can show you advertisements for such in a lot of our old books. One brand name I remember is/was Mothers Pride, 16%.

There is a problem with the conversion of such recipes to 5%. Too many variables. What you are preserving, its acidity, what herbs/spices, how you are going to process, etc. Just too many variables to convert such recipes.

The safest thing to do is simply discard that recipe and get a modern one.

I am going to chime in with Violet, and say no weaker than 5%.

But I am also going to say no stronger than 12%. This is the cause of 'canners fingers', a common medical issue back then.

One of the reasons I suspect we only have the 5% and 9% today is that there were accidents and long term injuries in the old days. Mothers Pride is/was a very strong acid, and it will react with minerals in your water. My Mother would dilute with rain water, but make it sit overnight, pouring off top and bottom Enough said? Look up "chloroacetic acid", nothing more than chloronated water and acetic acid, if you want a case of the willies.

Discard that recipe, and get a modern 5% one.

Sarah