MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tomato Pulp/Juice/Seeds... whatever that stuff is

I'm canning a couple cases of tomatoes today and wondering what to do with that pulpy, watery, seedy stuff. I keep finding uses for juicer leftovers or "saving seeds". But I don't need this many seeds and I'm pretty sure this isn't the same stuff as juicer leftovers.

I'm thinking add it to soups, but that's just not creative enough for me. :-)

Are tomato seeds good in trail mix?

We put ours in the compost pile. And, this year, that compost pile produced over 80 pot-luck tomato plants in various parts of the yard. We used the compost in the garden and also to put 12 new trees. These plants are much healthier and growing much better than the ones that we planted in the garden that we got from the vegetable farmer that sold his extra seedling plants. They are producing later but more and don't seem to have the early blight problems that we have in my garden area.

• 4 weeks later...

Im not surprised...fermenting tomato seeds in their own juice to remove the fuzzy coating they have before saving the seeds is an old time anti-blight treatment...those volunteers got it for free, cooking away in the compost!