MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dry canning

Putting jars in the oven can cause them to shatter when you open the door. They are not safe for the dry oven heat.

Please rethink what you are doing. You could get really hurt by flying glass and also lose your food. Using oxygen absorbers is really safe and reliable.

Philbe hearily agrees! I don't even warm my jars in the oven when I pressure can. I pour boiling water into them and then set them into my water bath canner full of hot water.

We put cookies and crackers, other things too.....rice, noodles, spices etc. in pint, quart, 1/2 gallon Ball jars, any canning jars actually....SEVEN years ago. We put o2 absorbers in the jars and vacuum sealed them. We took them out several weeks ago and I didn't think for a second that the crackers and cookies would be anything but dust. I was wrong! They were still as fresh as if I had purchased them that very day. No one can believe it and they are almost all eaten up.

I have lots of pasta's that I have vacume sealed in half gallon jars. They don't have OA in them but they look good. Also vacume sealed cracker tubes with vacume sealer, then put them in 5 gallon gasket sealed buckets. For food buckets that are long term, I use the regular gasket lids, but when I know I'll be in and out of a bucket, I use gamma lids.