MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dry canning

I was reading instructions on dry canning to extend the life of dry goods (oats, rice, flour, etc). The instructions called for using jars with 2 piece lids & something about using old jars (but no details on the latter). This leads me to believe we can also use jars & bottles with lug lids? I have several Santa Cruz Organic juice bottles. Has anyone tried this with lug lids? This is the first time I've decided I want to try this, so I'm hoping I can do this at a low cost. I found mites in a bucket of food, so it's time to try the new.

If you are calling lug lids the ones that twist on but not screw.....I have used them

over and over for years and find they make a tighter seal than regular two piece.

I have never used the long neck narrow mouth like the old catsup glass bottles but I know the

Mennonites saved them and used them exclusively for catsup.

I think so, like salsa jar lids-

http://www.thehoneyjarhome.com/image/cache/data/Product%20Photos/43GoldLidInside-400x400.jpg

The Santa Cruz bottles, I have some that are 96oz, so a bit big for ketchup, IMHO, LOL!! The rest are qt sized, though. Still maybe big for ketchup, but I want to use them for dry goods. So do you think the bottles below will work? They go on with about a half turn or so, & have the tabs like the pic above. Thanks Twilight!

http://whoopiecookie.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/js332.jpg

http://www.coupongeek.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/santa-cruz-organic-juice-coupon.jpeg

I was reading instructions on dry canning to extend the life of dry goods (oats, rice, flour, etc). The instructions called for using jars with 2 piece lids & something about using old jars (but no details on the latter). This leads me to believe we can also use jars & bottles with lug lids? I have several Santa Cruz Organic juice bottles. Has anyone tried this with lug lids? This is the first time I've decided I want to try this, so I'm hoping I can do this at a low cost. I found mites in a bucket of food, so it's time to try the new.

ALWAYS ... put some diatemetrous (?) earth in your buckets...it will kill anything that's in the corn etc., including any eggs that hatch out. Then you can "dry clean" the corn (?) by shuffling it though a mesh screen, and then grinding it for cornmeal etc. We buy "precleaned" corn from our local tractor supply REAL cheap!

We put cookies and crackers, other things too.....rice, noodles, spices etc. in pint, quart, 1/2 gallon Ball jars, any canning jars actually....SEVEN years ago. We put o2 absorbers in the jars and vacuum sealed them. We took them out several weeks ago and I didn't think for a second that the crackers and cookies would be anything but dust. I was wrong! They were still as fresh as if I had purchased them that very day. No one can believe it and they are almost all eaten up.

Do you get any extra protection by using the oxygen absorber and the food saver on the same jar? I thought that either one used alone got the same results?