Jump to content

Two-year-old girl tragically dies from eating a battery smaller than a dime


Recommended Posts

Another common ordinary household object to be aware of. :( Vigilance and safety consciousness are needed when toddlers (and pets) are in a household. :sEm_blush:

 

Two-year-old girl tragically dies just two days after Christmas from eating a battery smaller than a dime

 

A two-year-old girl in rural Oklahoma died two days after Christmas and doctors say a battery smaller than the size of a coin is likely to blame.

 

Brianna Florer's grandfather Kent Vice tells The Oklahoman that his granddaughter had not been feeling well for the past few days on Sunday, and had been registering a low grade fever.

 

The toddler's parents, Brian and Stephanie Florer, called an ambulance when their daughter started throwing up blood and turned blue.

 

Little Brianna was rushed to a hospital in Tulsa where she immediately went into surgery, but she later died.

 

An x-ray revealed she had swallowed a small button battery.

 

'They operated on her for 2 hours, but they couldn't stop the bleeding,' he said. 'They believed the battery ate through to her carotid artery by way of her esophagus.'

 

'One minute she is perfect, and the next minute she is dead,' Vice said. 'We had no idea when she swallowed it (the battery).'

 

Vice says Brianna's parents didn't know how the toddler got the battery. Doctors believe the little girl ingested the object within six days of her death.

 

An autopsy is still pending and the official cause of death will take months to determine.

 

Experts say that batteries will often pass out of the system before causing harm. Fatal cases occur when the battery gets stuck and secretes an alkaline substance.

 

Vice says he hopes his granddaughter's death will bring about change.

 

'I want to keep these things out of houses,' he said. 'They are dangerous.'

 

Meanwhile, a GoFundMe account has been set up by friends to help Brianna's family with funeral expenses.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3381210/Two-year-old-girl-tragically-dies-eating-button-battery.html#ixzz3wJyPeR7j

 

From a related article:

 

“These devastating outcomes occur in small children when batteries get stuck in the esophagus,” said Dr. Toby Litovitz, center physician.

When a lithium button battery lodges in a child's esophagus, it causes an electrical current to go through the tissue, she said.

“The electrical current is causing more damage because it is splitting the water surrounding the button battery and forming hydroxide, which is an ingredient in lye. Imagine dropping little tiny drops of lye in one place in the esophagus,” Litovitz said.

The lye substance perforates the esophagus and goes into whatever tissue is nearby — it can be the aorta or the trachea.

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.