MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm going to go on an experimental journey

To see if I can crack the code of making bread with fresh ground flour from the whole grain, into a lighter, less denser, loaf of bread.

I've begun some researching and one suggestion I've found so far that confirmed a thought I had, is to sift home ground flour through a fine mesh strainer (I would think not TOO fine of a mesh), and to take the bran and add it to some hot water to soften up. It appears that you would take the sifted flour and use that to begin making the bread, with the hot soaked bran strained and added later to the bread.

It appears that the bran and other natural parts of the wheat kernel tend to cut the strands of gluten that develop during the rise.

Anyway, I'm going to try this experiment. Who knows when I'll be able to start doing it...I'm currently making a fresh batch of sourdough starter and will probably try once that's matured enough and is healthy.

The reason I'm posting this experiment that hasn't started yet lol is just in case anyone has any experience, suggestions, ideas or tips.

IF things were to get that bad, I'd like to have figured out some of these things before hand, because I would imagine my brain would be full to the brim with immediate, pressing concerns at that time.

• Like 1

Yep.  This.   Anytime you add anything to bread, it is best to add it after the first rising.  My old flour sifter usually is fine enough to catch brand from fresh flour.   Yours may be good for that.  I clean sift into one bowl then dump the bran into another.  

• Like 1