MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

wanted: turkey dressing recipe

Am I correct in thinking that by turkey dressing you mean a stuffing that goes inside the bird, or is it something else? Have I got the wrong end of the (drum) stick? (groan, sorry)

Sorry Lowie. I didn't know how else to phrase it. I'm just a hillbille country girl, ya know!

I would like the bread type stuffing to cram in a turkey or cook it separately. I usually have to fix so much that it won't all fit in the bird. The part that is cooked in the casserole dish isn't as moist.

Cat, I do most of my cooking without thinking or recipes so I understand. I don't have to have exact measurements. Just a general idea will work for me. Do you put oysters? I've never done it but I've heard othrs do.

Mommafitz, it was just something that came to me when I read the word dressing here; it rang a bell in the back of my brain! Like zucchini/courgetted, and jello/jelly, etc. Just different words for the same thing!

When I do ours, I always cook it separately from the turkey so that B and I can have it too, as we are vegetarian. I have a bowl of breadcrumbs, add finely chopped onion and a big handfull of herbs, salt and pepper. If I have cooked chestnuts I add them too, but not alwyas. Put in a dollop of cranberry sauce and enough beaten egg to bind together. Place in a well-greased dish and cover and bake until firm. The traditional one here is sage and onion, but I am persoanlly not too keen on the taste or even the smell of sage, so I use other herbs. Sometimes I make them into little balls and bake them that way - the children like them like that.

Okay gals, we are all on the same page with the bread crumbs, sage, salt, pepper. I add meat from the turkey's giblets, diced onion, celery, fried sausage and I use the turkey broth from cooking the giblets.

I'm going to check my PM's.

Keep it up ladies.

This is fun!

Southerners use cornbread for their dressing. The eggs really do make a difference. I never put my dressing inside the bird! Yuck! Makes me think disgusting thoughts! LOL! I surround the bird with dressing, and the juices from the turkey make it wonderfully moist. I don't really use a recipe, either; just add what it needs, 'til it looks and feels right.

Oh! I forgot!

A pan of cooked, cooled cornbread

Mrs. Cubbison's or Pepperidge Farms cornbread dressing mix/ or toasted pieces of stale white and wheat bread, crumbled

sauteed onions and celery (sauteed in butter)

chopped giblets

cooked sausage

turkey or chicken broth

butter

eggs

sage

garlic

salt

pepper

Well my family's dressing/stuffing uses some dried bread/bread crumbs and mash potatoes, about 50/50, and to that I add celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.....adding some broth may be necessary sometimes depending on how moist the mashed potatoes are...no need to cook the celery or onions as they cook inside the bird or in a foil covered dish....as Mare noted I also like placing strips of bacon across the bird in several places....this aids in basting and sure makes a nice treat that everyone fights over....I also place the bird on a bed of celery, onion, and carrots chopped to 3/4-1 inch pieces...this makes great soup stock starter and keeps the bird from sticking to the pan. Enjoy!

PS....some of my relatives have used this recipe adding one or more of these ingredients....raisins, apples, walnuts, or pecan.