MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ketchup

As everyone knows, it’s canning season. 

I just jared up a bunch of half pints and a few pints of ketchup I made from a 25lb box of tomatoes. 

I was able to can a 25lb box of pole beans and still have about 30lbs more to process. I think I’m going to take a large part of that and blanch, vacuum seal and freeze just to make things go faster. 

I’m VERY impressed with the ketchup though. I looked at about 4-5 recipes and then did my own thing and it’s absolutely amazing. I’ll probably do another 25lb box of that because I’m sure the ketchup won’t last long once the kids try it. 

in a couple of weeks I’ll get about 300lbs of tomatoes and make salsa and a summer sauce with that which will last me till next year. 

Oh and I have a 50lb box of corn on the cob I need to blanch, vacuum seal and freeze too. 

I am also contemplating getting 50lbs of peaches because, well, they’d come in handy in the days ahead I’m thinking. 

I haven’t canned like this in years and I’m intentionally not thinking about it too much. Just trying to keep my eye on the prize of “I have a healthy stash of blahblahblah” because otherwise I’d probably think I’m crazy. 

That is not open for discussion though. :)

• Like 2

You are so blessed, Darlene!!!   Enjoy your harvest!

I’m hoping & praying, the fall garden produces.    Every thing I’m collecting is, dehydrated.    It’s the desert, hot, hot, hot..  I should have known.  Roma tomato plants have fried.  I got just under a dozen before they died.  Even with irrigating daily.  We enjoyed them in our salads.  Definitely not enough to can.  :sigh:  

Lol, all the tomatoes I collected, I had to peel.  Our heat had blanched the raw fruit on the vine!  :shakinghead:

• Sad 2