MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Zucchini help

I was given a gigantic zucchini (below) and I have a huge bowl of shredded zucchini sitting on my counter.  A week or so ago I baked 4 loaves of zucchini bread and put it in the freezer.  So far today I've made chocolate zucchini brownies and zucchini, carrot, crasins muffins. I have many bags already shredded and in the freezer.  I could put more in, but I'd like to do something with it.  I will make more muffins.  I just ate one and they were delicious!

My question.......what else can I make?  DH doesn't like it cooked where he can tell he's eating it.  Hence, the mixtures of bread, cake and muffins.

TIA for your help!

8-4-22 zucchini and banana.jpg

Carrot/Zuchinni "Meatballs"

The actual title of this video gives absolutely NO clue what it is about, but I came across it because I was looking for different ways to can ground beef as "meatballs."

The "instructions" are very basic and the measurments are almost non-existant, BUT, if you have a "feel" for your spice level, you can easily make them.

I just made one recipe to see if I liked them and they turned out to be quite tasty. I also just crumbled fried some of the mixture to see how well it could be jarred up and I think that will work as well.

Btw, if you continue beyond the meat stage and make the sauce I think you will enjoy that as well. I happen to like the "path of least resistance" when it comes to cooking - ie - I am lazy! If you read the ingredients, the tom paste and the water = tom sauce and that is what I used! I wasn't sure about the addition of the sour cream, but I got brave and gave it a try. It was pretty tasty/spicy, but not "Italian." Leave the sour cream out if you want more of an Italian flavor.

I did not make the "cole slaw" yet but it loooks like an interesting and spicy way to serve cabbage as a salad.

BTW, she also has a similar broccoli/carrot  recipe that I bet would be good if made as CHICKEN "meatballs." :yum3:

• Like 1

Oh, that does look good Midnightmom.  I've already taken a pound of hamburger out of the freezer to thaw.  I'm going to try it tomorrow for dinner!  We aren't much for sour cream either, so I think I'll just leave it out.  Like you, I'll use tomato sauce instead of paste.

I just got 2 tiny cabbages from the garden and now I know what to do with them.

Thanks bunches mm.  I'll let you know what I think!!!

• Like 1

Oh no MM, I just checked to see how my hamburger, sitting on the counter, was coming and found it's a package of brats.  NO hamburger in the freezer.  I keep waiting for a sale but guess I'm going to have to break down and pay the expensive prices.  I keep hearing the cattle prices are dropping but don't see beef on sale much.  I've been getting some really good sales on pork though!  

I'll let you know when I try it! LOL

• Like 2

@Dee

Just found another zuchinni recipe. I will try it once I get some zukes. Let me know how it turns out for you if you decide to try it. :cook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P9r-IcLOLw

Herbs de Provence Mixture - Food Network

Ingredients

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/herbs-de-provence-3645633

2 tablespoons dried thyme

2 tablespoons dried oregano

2 tablespoons dried basil

2 tablespoons dried marjoram

2 tablespoons dried fennel seed

2 tablespoons dried savory

2 tablespoons dried rosemary

Herbs de Provence Mixture - The Spruce Eats

• 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
  • 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
  • 1/4 cup dried thyme
  • 3 tablespoons dried marjoram
  • 3 tablespoons dried summer savory, optional
  • 1 tablespoon dried tarragon

https://www.thespruceeats.com/make-your-own-herbes-de-provence-995824

Herbs de Provence Mixture - All Recipes

• 2 tablespoons dried rosemary 
  • 1 tablespoon fennel seed
  • 2 tablespoons dried savory
  • 2 tablespoons dried thyme
  • 2 tablespoons dried basil
  • 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
  • 2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
  • 2 tablespoons dried Italian parsley
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
  • 1 teaspoon bay powder

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/223272/herbs-de-provence/

OR.............................. you can just buy a premade mix!!! :thumbs: :D

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1

I've been thinking of canning up jars of the "meatballs" with zuchinni or squash in them but have been unsure as to the safety of doing so because I know you can't safely put up jars of these veggies. In my explorations on line, I have found the answer! EUREKA! It can be done and I am looking forward to getting some of these recipes preserved! :hapydancsmil::canning:  :yum3:

Summer-Squash.thumb.jpg.bf6141e88cc477f721cc8b49c8cb87d9.jpg

WHAT IS THE CHALLENGE

The problem occurs because of how mooshed up and squished together summer squash and zucchini get:  the extreme high temperatures in pressure canning cause it to disintegrate and compact together, which creates density issues in the jar, which makes heat penetration unpredictable. This means that the heat required to sterilize the food might not reach everywhere adequately inside the jar.

The Clemson Cooperative Extension explains,

Slices or cubes of cooked summer squash will get quite soft and pack tightly into the jars. The amount of squash filled into a jar will affect the heating pattern in that jar and may result in inadequate processing and an unsafe product.”  [1]

EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE

That being said, summer squash and zucchini are safely incorporated as an ingredient into some pressure canning recipes.

For instance, the USDA 2015 Guide has a recipe for pressure canned Tomato and Zucchini [2]

Ball has a recipe for pressure canned mixed vegetables which calls for zucchini.  [3]

These two recipes are fine. The issue is not that summer squash and zucchini are inherently evil; it’s the unpredictable density when you process it all together by itself as a solo pack in a single jar, for which there are currently no recommendations that will cover all variables (and mistakes) to keep everyone safe.

In the mixture recipes, the presence of other solid vegetables that keep their shape guards against one solid moosh lump forming in the jar which would prevent even heat penetration from occurring. Again, the high temperatures achieved in pressure canning are of no use if their sterilizing power can’t penetrate everywhere in the jar.

(The USDA and BALL have both withdrawn prior instructions for canning these veggies and no longer recommend it as being safe.).

So to be clear, unless you pickle summer squash in some way, there is currently no research-based proven safe way that anyone reputable is supporting to home can summer squash or zucchini (as plain products by themselves). Instead, freeze or dehydrate it (or, use it in one of the mix canning recipes mentioned above under “Exceptions”)

https://www.healthycanning.com/canning-summer-squash/

• Like 1