MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Can You Do With Green Tomatoes?

For those of you who have been blessed with a good harvest of tomatoes and want to be able to preserve those toms that won't have enough time on the vine to ripen, I am adding a PDF of recipes and links, etc. I will also add the URL because I'm pretty sure the hyperlinks won't work from inside of the PDF.

One of the most interesting facts I learned when perusing this article was this:

• Be aware that tomatoes harvested green and ripened on the counter do not develop the right acidity for canning, according to the Wisconsin State Extension.
    If tomatoes are harvested green, they should be used quickly in green tomato canning recipes rather than ripened for your standard red tomato canning recipes (like sauces).

Green tomato canning recipes are an old fashioned treat, and the perfect way to preserve a bumper crop of late season unripe green tomatoes when an early frost prevents them from ripening.

20+ Green Tomato Canning Recipes.pdf

source: https://creativecanning.com/green-tomato-canning-recipes/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I never knew they didn't develop acidity on the counter, but it kind of makes sense. 

That is a treasure trove of recipe links.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Ambergris said:

I never knew they didn't develop acidity on the counter, but it kind of makes sense. 

I wish this one person in a FB group I am in had as much common sense!

She argued w/ me and stated that I "must not have been canning for very long."

I then posted the link to the USDA site that the posted article came from. I hate "know-it-alls")

Anyway, I had to make sure I pointed out that she was incorrect so that others reading her post would not follow her "advice."

• Like 3

Another idea on how to use up green tomatoes.

According to UCCE Master Food Preservers of El Dorado County ......

"Did you know you can safely use tomatillos and unripe tomatoes interchangeably in canning recipes?

This salsa was made using Ball’s Tomatillo Salsa recipe but used green tomatoes instead

373529709_683532117143357_1847954239880425786_n.thumb.jpg.a71a625d50e7fcefca4dd2574ace5023.jpg

Recipe used: https://www.ballmasonjars.com/blog?cid=tomatillo-salsa

Edited by Midnightmom