MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How To Loosen A Stubborn Canning Jar Band.

I was watching a YouTuber who had a band stuck on one of her jars after it had cooled down from the canner. She cranked and twisted with all her might. It finally came off taking the lid with it. That was one time she didn't want to hear that PING. 

I've had that happen a lot to me too. Especially when liquid siphons out of a jar and it cools down leaving the band stuck to the jar. 

All you have to do is run warm water over the jar a few minutes and it usually screws right off. It's the dried liquid holding it on. It only takes a minute or two.

I have had an occasional very stubborn band. I stuck a screw driver or bottle opener all around the edge of the band and loosened it enough that it came off. You ruin the band but it's better than popping a lid of canned food. 

Most if you probably already know this. But if that person didn't know to run warm water over the jar to loosen a band, then I figured someone else here might not know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After using either method of getting a band unstuck, I would definitely due the "tap" test to make sure the lid is on there because of a true vacuum seal and not just being stuck like the band was. :bounce: 

True. Always check your seals. After you run warm water over the jar. The band screws right off without any resistance at all. 

Personally, I'm pretty vigorous with my jars the day after canning. I see where some people wipe the jars with a damp dish rag. Not me. I squirt dish washing liquid on a dish rag and hold each jar under the kitchen faucet and clean each jar well with warm soapy water. If I have a loose seal, I want it to pop off right away. Not one time has a seal ever come loose in my hand while washing a jar this way. I want them as clean as I can safely get them. I'm mostly cleaning where the screw band rests. Lots of little crannies around there and around the embossed areas too.   :dishes:

I'm mostly thinking of not attracting any creepy crawlies to my pantry. :animal0017:

• Like 2