MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I am Ready to start the Atkins Diet!

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Great Westbrook!

Check out the posts under {Low-carb works for me} Atkins book really is the best teacher; without it a lot of what I say won't sound right. He gives both the scientific, medical and practical reasons and How-To's of the process! Like you will read, the first few days can be Torture, as your body is in withdrawal from Junk! Once the sugar and starch is out of your system, you will feel totally different! One thing I left out....you need to drink lots of Water along with the diet!!! I'll have to go post that on the other topic too! That is a very VITAL part of losing successfully....the book explains why!

Good Luck! Write me anytime!

------------------

deeknight.jpg

Guest Guest

Half the battle is getting started...so you're on your way! Get a good supply of your favorite protein foods, some diet jello and whipped cream and let's Go!!

------------------

deeknight.jpg

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm on the jello and whipped cream-just don't forget to use Splenda!!! (You can use Equal or Sweet N Low, but Splenda rocks!!!)

Make sure you READ THE BOOK even while you're "following the leader" cause the only TRUE LEADER is the good doc himself!!! (Besides-the rules are in writing there).

Typically you are very tired for the first two or three days, but then, you wake up one morning, and you feel like an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PERSON! It is unbelievable, and indescribable, but true!!!

One of the biggest secrets of success in this wol (way of life) is checking the contents of what you are buying/eating for HIDDEN CARBS! Sugar is not just glucose-it is fructose, lactose, corn and corn derivitives like high fructose corn syrup, corn starch, modified corn starch, brown sugar, rice, brown rice, flour, etc.-Did you know that salt has sugar in it???? Yep-just read the label-it contains DEXTROSE!!! (supposedly to keep it "free flowing") But you can get around that by buying canning salt, or kosher salt. You even have to be careful about buying jerky! Some of it is "cured" with brown sugar, and some of the cheaper stuff is cut with wheat. frown.gif But-overall-it IS a do-able woe (way of eating).

------------------

me2.jpgmidnight.jpg

"Sooner or later everyone quotes their mother."

Guest Guest

I've been waiting for you!!! She's right folks....you've got to read the book, drink water, and find your favorite things that make you able to live within the guidelines!

Tomorrow: Coffee in the a.m

Fried turkey chunks w/scrambled eggs Lunch: probably hamburgers (2) and a small green salad w/mayo Supper: don't know...either turkey, beef or eggs! Jello is a freeby! Sometimes when I'm starting from scratch; trying to get away from carbs...I will increase my intake of the Fats that Atkins allows (like the jello/cream cheese thingy) It is really satisfying and helps you get through the first several days when it seems like you don't have anything to eat! Quantities don't count that much at the beginning...if you overeat it will only be for a few days...once the junk is out of your system you won't be hungry and craving the sweets and carbs! Good Luck everyone! write me if you need to ....I'm here every night! Home email: knight@roava.net

p.s MidnightMom, how'd you get your picture on here? I've tried and can't seem to cut and paste it either on the post or in my signature.... Help please.

------------------

deeknight.jpg

Another night owl on Atkins here. This is my third time I've been on it. This last time I began in early January. The weight loss is slower each time. However, it is the only diet I ever lose weight on. I didn't start out on the REAL low carb level this time. No ketosis. But I have held my carbs to between 20 and 30 a day and I'm averaging a loss of about 1-2 lbs a week. I only weigh about every 4-6 weeks though. Weekly weigh ins drive me nuts.

Guest Guest

Glad to see you! Someone said you lost a bunch of weight lately! Seems as if there are some here that are interested in learning to change their WOL....it's totally foreign to some, so help me explain it as we go, okay!? I'm new here...but too outspoken and psyched up to be QUIET!!

For those who were here this afternoon...I had a wonderful WALK!!! We went a block farther than before!!!! That's 2 blocks really....cause you gotta walk "back" too, right? Anyway! Do you like my new jingle? "Hip Hip Away, I'm walkin' every DAY!!" :-) I'm getting silly...It's past my bedtime!! Hugs goodnite to all!

------------------

deeknight.jpg

I am so happy to see all of you posting like this. smile.gif

I know that the low-carb diet is a good one, I was on it several years ago, and I too lost several pounds. Well, I was on it for only 8 weeks and I lost 16 pounds. I wasn't happy with just that much, but the dr. I had said that was a good amount, and 2 pounds a week was much better than 4 or 6, as I was more likely to keep it off. Well, I didn't keep it off and I ended up gaining more. frown.gif

Right now, my dr. said I cannot be on it more than a month, so it will be rougher.

You see, I have several medical problems, I have heart desease, I have a pace maker. I have high cholestrol, I have dieabetes and I have a hydial hernia. I take meds for everything except my heart.

I love bacon and eggs, ham and all the meat that I can eat, but have to watch it.

With all of you talking about this, I would love to get started agin, but right now I don't have the will power. I know, that sounds like a cop-out or something, but just give me time.

Oh, I forgot to say that I also have allergies and asthma. So those are also a problem at times.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

[This message has been edited by Snowmom (edited July 23, 2002).]

Guest Guest

My husband and I have been on the Atkins diet for just under a week now. I've already lost 7 lbs and he's lost 10-1/2 lbs. I sure do have to run to the bathroom a lot though wink.gif I love this diet, I get to eat BACON!

------------------

Out of the Ashes.....

Guest Guest

Welcome Pheonix! You are doing GREAT! Come over the the lasted post....The Battle Begins..and share your strategies of successful Low-carb living!

------------------

deeknight.jpg

Dee,

One thing i'm also curious about is Cholesterol......

You said your blood pressure went down, how is your cholesterol???

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud-just want to know!

I sure LOVE reading your posts....your a great motivator!

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bc.FHX9AZpQpY9DM

Guest Guest

Concerning cholesterol...It's really good from what I understand. I go to the Dr. next week, will try and bring back a copy of my first tests in July,2001 and the ones from this week...so we can compare Stats.

The only comment he's made in the past was "hmmmmmm....even chol. looks good....which seems "very Interesting".....we'll check is again in a few months"

He thinks I should eat more fruits and whole grain carbs.....but I don't! I always make sure I'm eating enough green stuff the week before I see him so I can confirm I'm eating 4-6 servings of veggies a day......He still tries to get me to eat ONE FRUIT a day....but too bad!!

This WOL probably isn't for everyone, but I love it....

By the way, the Atkins bread is Wonderful!!! It's about $5 a loaf....(ouch!) but totally worth it. It has a net gram count of 3gms per slice...and it is great to be able to have toast with my eggs or a sandwich once in awhile!

I keep it in the freezer, and only take out what we need.

Compared to eating at McDonald's it's cheap!!

Like I said....whatever it takes to succeed! You have to treat obesity as the life & death issue that it truly is! Some aren't at that point in their lives, but it has to me long term for me. So here I am, preachin' again....sorry! TTFN

------------------

deeknight.jpg