MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Victorio Stranier

I recently purchased one of these strainers through ebay. I picked two gallons of tomatoes the other evening. I got out my new strainer the next day and strained two of the tomatoes. I was so thrilled that it hardly wasted any of those tomatoes. Anyway I ended up making some home made tomato soup for lunch that day. It was delicious. I had never done it before, so it was totally made up I hope I can make it like that again. What I did was I took the pulp of the tomatoes, and heated it up added some dehydrated onions and green peppers and salt. Heated more. Then added a pinch of baking soda, and added milk. Mom always said if you add baking soda before your milk it wouldn't curdle. Apparently the acid in the tomatoes without it would make the milk turn. Heated it more until it was nice and hot. Even my kids and neighbors liked it. Does anyone else have any recipes using one of these strainers? Would you mind sharing it if you do? Thanks so much!

I guess I should add if I had had any I would have added a little cornstarch to thicken it as it was a bit runnier than say Campbells!

Guest Guest

I used to share one with a friend. It is the best appliance to have. I made EVERYTHING with it. I might try ebay for one again. Thanks for the thought

Guest Guest

I have one too and love it. No one believes how much tomato soup I eat,I actually have trouble believing it myself sometimes, so I can't wait to try out your recipe.

I make a lot of applesauce with my strainer. It's almost too mushed but it's so quick and tastes good so it's the way I go. I wash and quarter the apples, cook until tender and then through the strainer. Heat the applesauce and put in jars. I put a tablespoon of lemon juice in the bottom of each jar. I don't know if that's a must but I was told to do it for the acid so I do. The applesauce I'll use for holidays etc. I put a little sugar in but that that's just for us I never sugar. I can so many jars simply because it is so easy.

I also have friends that borrow it every year. None of us would be happy if I didn't have it!

Guest Guest

I have the Victorio Strainer also - have had it for years. None of you mentioned using it for berries - we love the seedless Blackberry jam that we make from it. Didn't know you could still buy these - only on e-bay?

• 5 weeks later...

no you can get something similiar at like Rural King or Farm and Fleet. It's not a Victorio but it's the same thing.

You can buy it for less than 50 dollars there. And I think the screens for different things are like 14 dollars a piece.

Amber it's perfect for tomatoes! It does get the skin and seeds! Leaves you with the pulp and juice! It's great! It also has different screens you can buy seperately! It will do grapes, pumpkins, berries etc. Do a web search on them and it should tell ya all you wanna know.. I found this on them

For making sauce from apples, squash, fruits and berries, nothing beats a Victorio strainer. In any survival scenario, stored vitamins and minerals are extremely important. Fruits and vegetables are the source, of course. They must be stabilized and stored for out of season use. Drying has been used for centuries, canning was invented in the 19th Century, and the reason that tools were designed was to make the work process easier and more precise.

The Victorio Strainer, also called a Squeezo strainer, is a marvel. Simply boil for 20 minutes apple quarters, 2 inch chunks of squash, rhubarb chunks, etc, then run them through the strainer with the proper screen installed. The peels and small seeds are ejected out the front, and pure, even pulp comes out the side, ready for canning. Berries need only a few minutes of simmering. There are three screens available for the Victorio: small holes for berries, medium sized holes for apples and most uses, and a screen with larger holes for squash.

I can't wait for apple season! I want to make applesauce with it!

Let me know if you have anymore questions about it!

Happy Hunting!

Dawn