MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Do any of you bake cookies and pies and freeze them.

*giggle*

You're kidding, right???

I've frozen sweet breads like Pumpkin and Banana, but I haven't really frozen many pies. I just let them cool, wrap in plastic, then aluminum foil or paper freezer paper.

I just made 8 dozen peanut butter cookies, I put two dozen in the freezer, and plan on making at least 4 dozen a day over the next few days. Just to get some treats stocked. Plus it will be handy for lunch boxes for school.

I have made the pumpkin pies and pecan pies and freeze them, but was just wondering about the pudding pies and meringues. If they would hold up or end up watery......

MMMMM peanut butter is my favorite! I bought some peanut butter chips a few weeks ago intending to do just that. Have I don't it yet? Well, no.. I bought some chocolate chunks to throw in them as well. Today I have a headache, and a stiff neck, I thought I was gonna be able to perk up after I ate and get some cleaning done as this is my day off. But it looks like me and the computer might go to bed and watch a movie together.. It could be possible that I haven't had any caffiene yet today and it's 1:14pm.. So I just got me a drink of dew hoping it would revive me.. I will be thinking of those cookies unike.. BTW I have plenty of freezer space left if you run out!

Have a fun time!

D

I just made 3 cakes, sliced them and froze themm...hard to tell there were 3 cakes....I think there may be 10 slices left...each cake has 16 slices.

I will share my recipe!

FRIENDSHIP CAKE

1 1/2 c. drained fruit (from starter)

1 box yellow cake mix (without pudding)

2/3 c. oil

4 eggs

1 box instant pudding mix (vanilla, 3 or 6 oz.)

1 c. chopped nuts

1 c. raisins

Mix together. Batter will be stiff. Put in greased and floured Bundt pan--I grease the bundt pan, I sprinkle sugar inside (like you would flour) to help release the cake when done and makes a pretty crystal frosting instead if flour.. Bake 40-60 minutes at 350 degrees. (Store starter at room temperature covered with cloth.)

Starter: 1 1/2 cups starter in large jar or bowl. (To be stirred daily with wooden spoon.)

**For fresh starter add 2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 extra large can sliced peaches and juice (cut up); stir!

10th Day: Add 2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 pound can pineapple and juice (cut up). Stir!

20th Day: Add 2 jars (18 ounce) of maraschino cherries (cut in half) No Sugar! Stir!

30th Day: Bake cake using well drained fruit (enough fruit for 2 cakes). Give friends your extra starter (1 1/2 cups per recipe). After 30 days, extra starter may be stored in refrigerator for up to 30 days.

GLAZE:

1/4 c. butter

1/2 c. sugar

1/4 c. fruit syrup

Mix butter, sugar and 1/4 cup fruit syrup; boil for 1 minute. Cool slightly. This is enough glaze for 3 cakes. Poke holes in warm cake. Pour glaze over cake slowly and let soak in and down the sides. Keep in freezer up to 5 to 6 months.

I freeze cookies and stuff like lemon bars all the time, and they are fine. Have never done pies, but I do remember reading somewhere that the meringue won't freeze well. This year, in March, to save on summer baking, I plan to freeze a boatload of baked goodies. I have one freezer that is "off limits" to the kids and that's where I keep the goodies LOL.

As for muffins, some recipes do well, some don't. I have a very yummy apple muffin recipe, but they are mushy when they thaw (I heated them with milk and served them like oatmeal instead). Banana muffins have done fine, and one I have called French Breakfast muffins that don't have fruit in them.