MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Questions!

twilap

We are planting a garden this year. I want to be able to can Tomato's. I have a family of 3 (adults). Approximately, how many Tomato plants should I plant to be able to can tomato sauce, tomato's etc.???? And of course eat off them all summer too....with some to share!

Also.....I am looking to purchase a Pressure Cooker, and would love to have your opinions as to which one is the best. Which size is the best as well from your experience?

Thanks!

:welcome:Deblyn!!

Do you use a lot of tomato-based products? There's spaghetti, pizza sauce, juice to use in soups & chili, etc.

You need more if you use a lot, obviously.

I like to can "Roma" tomatoes for sauces because there's a lot less juice to cook down. They're what they call "Italian" type tomatoes. But they're not as good for "table use".

I like my pressure canner with the weight. I think it's a Mirro. If you get one with a gauge, you'll need to occasionally have it checked for accuracy by the county extension agency.

I think mine holds 7 quarts (man, it's been a while since I canned!! Be sure you get a size that you can handle on your own. Even if you sometimes have help, they can be heavy or hard to handle physically.

You have to let the pressure go down (SLOWLY, as the directions say!!!), and then turn the lid. It can be hard, because there's a rubber gasket on mine (I think some are metal-to-metal seal). And it's still hot.

I agree with Spider... get a new Blue Book. It has the most up-to-date info in it. For example, there are so many low-acid tomato varieties out now that they recommend adding lemon juice to ALL tomato canning products. The old books may not tell you that.

CAT

I also prefer the weighted gauge one and mine is a Mirro also. I wouldn't want to have to worry about getting it checked every year which you have to do with the dial canners.

What size depends a lot one what you are canning. I have a 12 quart which will hold nine pint jars or seven quarts, and I also have a couple of 22 quart canners that will hold seven quart jars but holds 18 pint jars. I would like another 12 quart because when I am canning quarts it depressurizes faster, so I can process faster.

So if you plan on putting up a lot of quart jars get the 12 quart canner. If you plan on putting up mostly pints, get the 22 quart because you can process more at one time in it.

The Mirro brand canner has a book with it that gives you the basic canning directions, but if you want more recipes, the Ball Blue book is really good and up to date.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your input! I will get a new Ball Blue Book. I have one, but it is a little older...and silly me, I never saw the Garden Planning Guide in the back!

Thanks also for the info on Pressure Canner/Cooker's. I think you helped me narrow down which to get! Thank you so much!

Now......I just need to learn how to do it all. I am glad the books are so thorough in explaining it. I have done the water boiling canning...just not the pressure canner.

Thanks again!

Personallly, I like the All American canners. They're metal to metal, so I never have to worry about replacing seals, and they are a dial gauge and a weighted gauge. I bought the biggest one they make, which cans 19 quarts or 32 pints for my massive canning. For testing recipes, I also bought their baby canner, which does 4 quarts or 7 pints. Here's a link to where I purchase them...they had the best prices on the net I could find at the time, and just happened to be located in Miami where I live:

All American Canners

As the others were saying, the instructions that come with your canner will get you off to a good start as far as how to use that particular canner, and some tips and recipes to start out with. I absolutely love my Blue Ball Canning book, and has proved invalueable since I've been on a massive canning binge. I think over the past 2 months, I've canned 420lbs of tomatoes alone. But that's a story in and of itself...lol

There are some incredibly experienced canners here at MrsS (I am not one of them lol), and if you ever have a question, please feel free to ask!

Darlene,

So...the American has both gauges? I am confused...can you tell?

I would like the metal to metal, but I thought it only had the dial gauge...the problem is I don't know where to get it tested in my area. I have been trying to find out, but haven't had luck as of yet. So....with the American...do you have to get the gauge tested?

I don't know anyone who does any canning.....so I am having to learn by books, and posts to the website. I taught myself to water boil can....I have canned preserves...but this is a whole new realm for me.

Thanks for any and all input you have given!

Dalene,

perhaps I misunderstood the question... here is why,

yes the All American has a gage, what contols the pressure is the weight.

I also have a pressure cooker (metal to metal and at least 60 years old) that has a gage and a pit cock valve. I have to adjust the pit cock to acheive the correct pressure.. throw a towel over it and mess with the pit cock valve a lot, adjust the heat and spend a lot of time.

The All American is so simple, set the weight, watch temp, adjust heat wella done!

So perhaps I mis understood the thread.

Westbrook,

Ok...so do I have this right? With the All American, it is the weighted gauge that is used. Does this mean that the dial gauge does not have to be checked?

Unikemom,

How often do you typically have to replace the gasket? Are they expensive? So...that is really the only thing that you have extra to do with the Mirror brand, right?

Thanks for your post!

I just want to add here there is a difference between a pressure canner and a pressure cooker. You can cook in a canner but you cannot can in a cooker.

When purchasing one be sure you "purchase the right tool for the right job". And every time my DH (the D doesn't always stand for dear) says something about me buying one more thing...I just say that to him.

On the gasket question that depends on how much you use it. I check it for cracks at the beginning of each season and I also do a test run with all of my canners to make sure they come up to pressure. I have had to replace one gasket so far, in the 10 years I have used my three canners. They aren't terribly expensive a few bucks I think, you can get them from the manufacturer.

• 1 month later...

I've had mine for over 30 years now and there is NO gasket, so you don't have to worry about replacing it.

This looks like mine.

http://www.goodmans.net/get_item_aa-921_al...oker-canner.htm

You should take it to the home extention office and have the gage checked each year. They do it for free, or at least they do around here.

I have canned so much it this one and if I had it all to do over again, I would get this one.

Happy canning.

• 3 months later...

Hi there..... I seen your post and noticed you have the All American Pressure cooker/canner. I just purchased a #921 and I have no instruction manual. I have 10 gallons of green beans ready to can and Im afraid I may do something wrong with the canner..........can you please help ?? shockedhelp

Guest Guest

is it weighted or gauge?

the weight will have the number of the PSI on each side.. 5 - 10 - 15

this will get you canning tonight

Using the pressure canner:

* Pour two or three inches of boiling water into the pressure canner.

* Put filled jars on rack and fasten cover tight.

* Turn heat on high until steam vents for at least 10 minutes. Then close vent or add counterweight on to vent stem.

* Let pressure rise to 11 pounds in a dial gauge canner or process at 15 pounds in a weighted gauge pressure canner.

* Keeping pressure constant; process quarts 25 minutes, and pints 20 minutes.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/nutrition/BJ628.html

Guest Guest

I have the 941 All American Pressure Canner...if you'd like a copy of the manual, I'd be willing to scan it for ya...I might even have an extra hardcopy that I could also send ya.

Good luck!

I was so glad to see that two canning classes are being offered here within the next 2 months. My aunt taught me to do peaches and tomatoes years ago but I really like to "see" how things are done for myself when I get into new areas.

Archived